No announcement yet.

Float height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went through this whole deal with a nearly identical setup, but I had a Mac header with a cherry bomb grafted on it.

I found that no matter what you do, it will always stumble a bit on the low end if you have a straight through exhaust. You said Jardine on yours, but has the baffle been drilled out or molested somehow?

I was never able to get it all smoothed out, with the open exhaust. It would run like a scalded cat on the top end though. I put a Jardine spaghetti exhaust on it and the low end was much better and the top end suffered very little when jetted properly.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
      Did the 81 have adjustable needles?

Tod
      Not exactly. They were not factory adjustable but I have heard/read of folks slipping an extra little washer in here and there to raise them up.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I just put in 120 mains and lowerd the floats. got everything back together and now numbers 3 and 4 are not firing. what could this be? before the 120's i tried 110's and it was firing fine but it starved for gas as the rpms went up. im lost. somebody rescue me. thanks

Comment

"They were not factory adjustable but I have heard/read of folks slipping an extra little washer in here and there to raise them up. "

Many of the canadian models came with adjustable needles, even in 80-81 and. also, some of us have 80-81 with the upgraded needles from MikesXS which are adjustable.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Widowmaker,
            Do you have a fuel line kinked.Those two carbs(3&4) are linked.So maybe you arent getting fuel to them somehow.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

fuel is coming out of carb4. 1 and 2 is hot and 3 and 4 is much colder. my 1100 has turned into a 550 im really at my wits end. thanks for your help

Comment

Just me, but I would put 115 mains, and 42.5 pilot jets in. The 3&4 NOT working IS fuel. check vents and fuel lines when the tank is ON. If you can't see for sure, pull it up and S-L-O-W-L-Y let the tank down, checking the fuel line as you do. If it's a Special, try running on "prime" and see if that helps.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

just got home from work. I will try it tomarrow and let you know. thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                  X