Need help on way to alleve Butt Ache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on way to alleve Butt Ache

I am getting ready to go on a 8 hour round trip and wanted to know if some Vets could give me ideas as to how to deal with seat pain(riders cramps). Plan to ride with two Harleys. We plan to stop about every hour to walk and get a drinks. Also ideas as to what tools to carry and extras.
    Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
    82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
    Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

TRBig found a butt pad at Walmart for ATVs that works wonders. Only problem is they were only at his Walmart, and no one else could find them. Not sure if he can get them anymore or not.

Other than that, having your seat redone or buying an expensive butt pad are about the only options. I have heard about guys buying the "silicone waffle" type seat pads in walmart automotive section and cutting them to fit the seat on their scoot. Haven't tried it myself.

As far as tools, you can't prepare yourself for everything. I occasionally carry a few end wrenches and a allen key set, but not much more. TBH the only real trouble I have had on my scoot on a long trip was a Dunlop 404 that crapped out on me. The bike its self has been nearly bulletproof.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

the way to alleviate muscular cramps and tightness is by taking breaks and doing some stretching exercises...stay hydrated too...stretch out your legs...standing up bend over and stretch to touch your toes..dont bounce just slowly stretch and keep increasing your reach until you can touch your feet...another great way to strecth out the leags and low back is to do a hurdlers strtch...find a surface like a wall or fence that has a height level to you waist line...standing up take one leg and lift up onto the surface thats level with the waistline it should be roughly 90* in relation to your supporting leg...then slowly reach with both hands towards the raised leg and bend at the waist to achieve a stretch to grab your foot...stretch slowly and try to hold it for a few seconds...repeat about 5 times and switch to the other leg...HTH
      Last edited by madmax-im; 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You might try taking a couple of Tylenol or Alieve before you start. It helps me anyway.
        78E ... Gone but not forgotten
        2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          .........find a surface like a wall or fence that has a height level to you waist line...standing up take one leg and lift up onto the surface thats level with the waistline it should be roughly 90* in relation to your supporting leg........................HTH
          HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I wish.

Probably should practice that at home for a while.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

FWIW 90* ==> 90º You can make that sign by holding down the alt key and punching 0186 on the number pad.

Comment

The iron butt's have it right. Check out the IBA Website for tons of great, and pertinant information. My best so far is 1400 miles in 28 hours.

Advil before you start, anti-monkey butt powder, move around on the seat and do NOT wear cotton underwear. It will hold moisture against your skin and make you miserable very fast. And most important, stay hydrated

Enjoy the ride!
              Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
              '07 FJR1300

Comment

I take one little blue pill before I start... No not THAT blue pill! Naproxen Sodium.. Equate brand from Wally World. It has helped me much better than Tylenol or Motrin. Take one before you start.

And start moving your butt around early. Don't wait until you feel uncomfortable to move around a bit. Even moving your feet from the ball of your foot on the pedal to the heel and drop and raise your toes a bit helps your knees. (Or mine anyway) I don't know how tall you are, but I reach back with my legs and hook th eheel of my boots on my rear pegs. This takes the pressure off your tailbone. Just don't do it on bumpy roads, because it puts the pressure somewhere else....

And Dan...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I wish.

Probably should practice that at home for a while.
                LOL.. Brother... I'd sure like to see that myself sometime!

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                  The iron butt's have it right. Check out the IBA Website for tons of great, and pertinant information. My best so far is 1400 miles in 28 hours.

Advil before you start, anti-monkey butt powder, move around on the seat and do NOT wear cotton underwear. It will hold moisture against your skin and make you miserable very fast. And most important, stay hydrated

Enjoy the ride!
                  Is there another kind of underwear other than cotton?I mean that are mens?
                  1980 special (Phyllis)
                  1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                    do NOT wear cotton underwear. It will hold moisture against your skin and make you miserable very fast.
                    So, you do the iron butt commando? or do you wear speedos?

Comment

I have found briefs in underware help, less seams ans folds to create preasure spots. Aleave is good along with a water bottle for hidration. I bought a Gell like pad with sheep skin - big help! Finally stop and stomp it out and let it/them cool!

Deny
                      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Actually I wear LD Comfort shorts. There similar to bicycle shorts in that they are moisture wicking. No, I don't ride Comando.
                        Last edited by Silent; 08-24-2009, 09:03 PM. Reason: added imbeded link
                        Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                        '07 FJR1300

Comment

i just road from north of atlanta to p cola... no butt ache... but i have standard. my right lower leg kept cramping though. i have got to get some highway pegs! the left one never crapmed though???
                          " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                          xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                          8mm msd wires
                          tkat fork brace...
                          Fox shocks...
                          mikes650 front fender
                          led's gallore...
                          renthal bars
                          gold valve emulators
                          vmax tensioner
                          Rifle fairing

Comment

my ass ache usually starts after about 2 hrs. i'll stop, stretch, walk, etc. But then i usually end up with the cramp in the hamstrings. they really sucjk.
                            have to stop again to try to get that straitened out.
                            testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

I have a 500-mile, "Half-Iron-Butt" ride this weekend. No way I would be able to do that without highway pegs! I don't know about that whole bendy-stretchy thing though... I haven't been able to touch my toes since Jr. High! Taking regular breaks and keeping hydrated is going to be my only saving grace. Just remember that if you don't have to pee every 2 hours, you're not drinking enough! The wind rushing over your skin literally sucks the moisture out of you. Even wearing a mesh jacket behind a fairing, I was dehydrated for 2 days after a 200-mile ride because I didn't keep drinking enough.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X