Which valve stems do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which valve stems do I need?

My new project XS came with tubeless rims. The PO, however, used tubeless tires. At least the double nuts around the valve stem look very much like tire tubes to me. I plan to run tubeless tires. Is the valve stem a standard automotive sizw that I can pick up at any auto parts store? Or is it a special size I have to get from my local Yamaha dealer? Or is it a special size I can get from an auto parts store?

Thanks,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

I can't answer your question directly, but when you find out the size I'd be interested to know as well. I have a set of 90 deg valve stems on the FJR and I defiantly want to put a set on the XS when I change the tires next time. I get them from BikeEffects Jeff's a good guy to deal with, but I doubt he would know the answer to this question either.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

It's a part number 93900-00001-00. Standard Yamaha part.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

That's, CB. That looks like a double nut setup to me. Maybe PO did run tubeless tires. Guess I won't know until I pull them off.

So I'm guessing an automotive stem won't fit. Bummer.
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Just .02 to add... tubeless valve stem, both nuts should be on the outside of the rim. When using a tube, one nut on the inside of the rim, the other on the outside. Dennis Kirk also carries the proper tubeless valve stems.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
          X