No announcement yet.

Air Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I don't use the MC oil either. No need to waste my money on that stuff.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks! Did you see my sexy highway pegs? They are lifesavers on long rides for a tall guy like me :P Over the winter I plan on doing some tweaks to the bike. Nothing major...I don't want to completely overhaul the engine or anything, it doesn't need it. Basically a major tune-up. I want to get new exhaust, a K&N air filter, another oil change, nice new plugs, gear oil change, new handgrips, and hopefully a carb rebuild/retune. Also, I want to repaint it. Even though the paint is in amazing condition for a 30 year old bike, the scratches and stuff that are there really annoy me :P Anything else I should add to the list?

Comment

Yeah, highway pegs are a nice accessory. If you're going to re-paint, you could also get the frame re-powdercoated. I dunno how concerned you are with keeping things stock, but getting OEM front turn signals would put it back to stock. IMO, they should at least be chrome, since the rest of the bike is. Speaking of chrome, why do you want to get a new exhaust? A little polishing, and yours will look good as new! There are a VERY limited number of options for replacing the exhaust on these bikes, and if you can retain the stock pipes, that will always give you the best tuning. If you change it out, there is a good chance you will have to mess with carb tuning for a long time to get it right again.

Also, pay special attention to every single one of the electrical connectors. Take them apart, clean them and dielectric grease them. If you have to replace them, do so. Use Anti-sieze on the ground connections as well. If it hasn't been done, replace the old glass fuses with a new spade-type fuse block too. T.C. sells one, with connectors for $9 shipped. Takes less than an hour to do the swap. While you're working on it, check the pick-up coil wires, as they are a common point of failure. Just grab them and PULL. There's a chance you'll feel them let go inside the insulation.

There's an endless list of things that you could do, but that should get you working through the winter.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I don't think I want to go as far as taking everything off the frame. Also, the nearest powder coating place is like an hour away, and super expensive. And the reason I want new exhaust is because mine is all banged up... I'll try and take some pictures of what I am talking about tomorrow if I have time. I don't know if this is how the stock exhaust is or not, but it looks like on the inside of each pipe, somebody pushed them too close to the rear wheel/ shaft drive, and now there are some big ol dents. Plus I want a throatier sound. I am a muscle car guy by nature, so I love a good rumble

Also, what is the advantage to removing the stock airbox and switching to the 4 individual air cleaners? My guess is just extra air flow into the engine?
          Last edited by Tigerman_87; 08-23-2009, 02:21 AM.

Comment

AIr Filter Problems.(catatonic Bug)

Hello Catatonic Bug

i'm looking through this thread & have seen the picture you posted of the partsnmore air filter red with metal casing & foam top & bottom.
            I ordered this filter for my bike XS1100F 1979 & i can't get it to fit in the case
            Before i order a new one from someone else , i'm just wondering why ?

Kevin Barzotelli

Comment

I have heard that some people have trouble with that. One solution is to remove the "keepers" on the airbox bolts. Might not be the best solution, but that's all I can remember hearing from others. I use the foam one, so I have not run into that problem. When I got my bike, it had one of those metal frame ones without modification. Maybe it just takes some patience and a "firm commanding tone".
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
              X