Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does the headlight get it's power from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does the headlight get it's power from?

I am trying to follow the wiring diagram and I am confused as to where the headlight get's it's power from. I took apart the LHS and there are four wires that are connected to the hi/lo beam switch:yellow, green, blue/green, and blue/yellow. I no longer have the RLU so I connected the blue/yellow wires and the blue/black wire. Also on the other side of the RLU plug I connected the blue/green and the yellow wires. On the schematic I was looking at http://home.comcast.net/~sidhansen/rlu/schematic.gif it shows that the blue black wire is what is the start of the circuit, and goes through depending on if it is on hi or lo. I am not using the middle console, speedometer or tach, and this is the only place I can see that would supply power, though it isn't clear. Can someone please clerify for me? I am trying to locate the main power for the headlight.

Thanks,

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

I may have figured out a way around it...can I use the red/yellow wire on the RHS? I read it on the UK site. I piggy back off the red/yellow wire (BTW what is the purpose of this wire in the RHS?) and connect it to the green low beam wire. The reason I ask the purpose of the red/yellow, is because on the RHS all that is really on there is the emergency kill and the start button. When you put the switch on start, does this wire supply power to the lights, and so on? So, will splicing off the red/yellow wire to the green wire (low beam) will that work? I still need help with the high beam too...

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Sorry I guess it doesn't make sence if I just say a bunch of wire colors. Here is the wiring diagram I am trying to untangle:

Keep in mind that I am bypassing the Reserve Lighting Unit, and am also not using the middle console, speedometer, and tachometer.

-Rick
      1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

It is powered from the altenator after starting the engine. Actually, I believe the powering of the altenator completes the circuit ast the headlight will remain on when the engine dies.
        Last edited by jmnjrpa; 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM.
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
          I believe the powering of the altenator completes the circuit ast the headlight will remain on when the engine dies.
          That is because of the RLU. There is a relay that switches once the engine turns over and gets power from the alternator, but after that, the power comes from the battery, via the headlight fuse.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Where does the headlight get it's power from?

Ah yes,
            Where is Prom when you need him?
            John
            Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
            '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
            '78 CB750F ( The F)
            '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
            New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
            Then: '76 CB550K
            '78 CB750F
            '84 VF1100S
            And still Looking!