Great now a other issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ozz,

I just checked, mine don't have resistor caps, and I got about 13.3 Kohms thru the caps.. I had just ridden it a few hours earlier today. I also think the PRIMARY side is about 2.5 ohms....I wrote you an email reply to you receiving the fuseblock about that! HTH?!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Hey Ozz,

I just checked, mine don't have resistor caps, and I got about 13.3 Kohms thru the caps.. I had just ridden it a few hours earlier today. I also think the PRIMARY side is about 2.5 ohms....I wrote you an email reply to you receiving the fuseblock about that! HTH?!
      T.C.
      T.C.

Got you email thank you for the info

Ozz
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
        Well. Since the mysterious electrical issue somehow has not happened again. Now I have another issue. These bikes are fun, lol.

I went for a ride with my brother-in-law. We were riding for a good hour or so. Then my ride would not launch. It would hesitate, then catch. It would run normal until I stopped again.

Ozz
        I had this exact same problem for the last couple of weeks. Sometimes it was ok, sometimes not. I blamed it on the carbs because half 'choke' would make it work. It was fine above 2K. Could not get the idle smooth. I also had a lot of farting on decel, but I blamed it on the pipes.

I R&R the carbs twice, synched and synched some more, checked the pickups (even tho they were recently repaired by Russ and Bob after my repair failed), cleaned all the connections DMMd the TCI, coils, kill switch, gapped the reluctor, changed the plugs......yada yada yada.

Turns out it was a bad 2-3 coil. Quick trip to the boneyard solved that.

Just got back from the shakedown and it is back to its bad ol self. VICTORY!

Take all the plugs out and lay them on the head. Crank it and check if you got all the sparks or not. My #2 was the one that was bad. I actually dug the wire out, but could not get a reading between the terminals. It was making sparks when the voltage got up high enough I guess, but below 2K not so much.

I see you have newer coils, but the symptoms are the same, except for the vacuum thing, dunno about all that.

Dan
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

oseaghdha,

I have checked. I do get spark to all plugs.

Thanks for the help.

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
          Pod Filters
          DynoJet Kit
          T.C.'s Fuse Block
          V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Update

I have gone through all the connections on the bike. Took apart to check the connections in the TCI. All are clean and good. Removed carbs again. Completly dissasembled and cleaned. Checked coils for voltage. All seems in spec. Still haveing the same issue. Almost seems like not enough fuel when getting going. Hit about 2500 RPM, then she will take off like a rocket. Float levels are at 23mm per the book.

I am at a loss and dont know what else to do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all,

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

If you think it may be a fuel issue, you could try turning the idle mixture screws out 1/4 turn. That'll give you a tad more fuel in the lower RPM range. Also, a quick blip of the throttle from idle will also tell you if it's a tad lean. When set correctly, there should be no kind of stumble or hesitation. HTH.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                If you think it may be a fuel issue, you could try turning the idle mixture screws out 1/4 turn. That'll give you a tad more fuel in the lower RPM range. Also, a quick blip of the throttle from idle will also tell you if it's a tad lean. When set correctly, there should be no kind of stumble or hesitation. HTH.
                I gave that a try. No change. Took the bike out for a little ride to see if I could see aything. I am finding now that below 1500 RPM she will hesitate in any gear. Once over 1500 RPM she will take right off.

Any sugestions?

Thanks again all for you help.

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

I gave that a try. No change. Took the bike out for a little ride to see if I could see aything. I am finding now that below 1500 RPM she will hesitate in any gear. Once over 1500 RPM she will take right off.

Any sugestions?

Thanks again all for you help.

Ozz
                  1)Try another 1/4 turn out!

2)Don't run it below 1500!

But I have to say that I'm often amazed at folks that like to run these engines at such low rpms! I know that folks have stated that they can let the clutch out at 1k rpm, get it rolling and that their bike will respond and pull from 1k all the way to redline. But these things are not Harleys...thank god. Yes, they have TORQUE, but they are still 4 cylinder engines and not the longest strokes! Also, if you have a 4-1 set of pipes, then it'll also contribute to a loss of low end grunt/torque. I "NEVER" run mine below
                  2k rpm, actually mostly above 3k rpm. The engine is much more responsive, and you have better engine braking affect as well. So...actually now it doesn't sound like you have a real problem with how it's running...IMHO.
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

1)Try another 1/4 turn out!

2)Don't run it below 1500!

But I have to say that I'm often amazed at folks that like to run these engines at such low rpms! I know that folks have stated that they can let the clutch out at 1k rpm, get it rolling and that their bike will respond and pull from 1k all the way to redline. But these things are not Harleys...thank god. Yes, they have TORQUE, but they are still 4 cylinder engines and not the longest strokes! Also, if you have a 4-1 set of pipes, then it'll also contribute to a loss of low end grunt/torque. I "NEVER" run mine below
                    2k rpm, actually mostly above 3k rpm. The engine is much more responsive, and you have better engine braking affect as well. So...actually now it doesn't sound like you have a real problem with how it's running...IMHO.
                    T.C.
                    Really? 1500 rpm? If I understand correctly the idle should be 1500 rpm? If thats the case I will set it at 1500. I have had it set at about 1100 rpm. I have the stock 4-2 pipes. If thats all it was that I had the idle to low I am going to feel realy foolish. Well at least my ride will run properly. lol

1980 XS 1100SG
                    Pod Filters
                    DynoJet Kit
                    T.C.'s Fuse Block
                    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Idle should be about 1100 RPM. 1500 is gonna chew up 1st gear at a stoplight pretty quick. If you still can't find the problem, swap out your coils with some known good ones, just to take that out of the equation. I think TC was just foolin' with you.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Coils

Ok I have to stop reading and posting at 1AM. lol My cousin found a set of coils for me that he said will work. They dont have the primary leads on them though. Does anyone know what the wire gauge is? Looks to be about 22awg? That way I dont have to unsolder the ones I currently have on my coils ( dont want to risk damaging the ones on the bike now in case they are good. ).

Thank you all very much for the help.

1980 XS 1100SG
                        Pod Filters
                        DynoJet Kit
                        T.C.'s Fuse Block
                        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Hey Ozz,

I wasn't saying that the IDLE was 1500, but that when I run my bike, apply the throttle and such, that I don't run the engine below 2k. The 1100 rpm is the correct IDLE! The gauge wire I would use would be 16-18.

However, after your other posts, and that it runs well at 1500 or above rpm without misses and such, I think you're looking more at carb and possibly ignition timing tuning!? But checking with the other coils will help eliminate them as a problem point to your tuning!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Updated info

Hey Ozz,

I wasn't saying that the IDLE was 1500, but that when I run my bike, apply the throttle and such, that I don't run the engine below 2k. The 1100 rpm is the correct IDLE! The gauge wire I would use would be 16-18.

However, after your other posts, and that it runs well at 1500 or above rpm without misses and such, I think you're looking more at carb and possibly ignition timing tuning!? But checking with the other coils will help eliminate them as a problem point to your tuning!
                            T.C.
                            Thats what I thought. I should stop reading before 1am. lol

Thanks for the info on the wire guage.

I replaced the coils with the ones my cousin gave me. It turns out they are the factory ones used on our bikes. Lucky me

Took the bike for a test ride. Guess what. No more hesitation. I am going to ride around for a bit to make sure. So far so good though. Too bad I cannot get my money back for the Mikes XS ones though

I would like to upgrade to the green coils but now I am a little weary on doing so.

I will update in a few days to see what happens.

Thank you all for the info!!

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
                            Pod Filters
                            DynoJet Kit
                            T.C.'s Fuse Block
                            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

I replaced the coils with the ones my cousin gave me. It turns out they are the factory ones used on our bikes. Lucky me

Took the bike for a test ride. Guess what. No more hesitation. I am going to ride around for a bit to make sure. So far so good though. Too bad I cannot get my money back for the Mikes XS ones though
                              Ozz

WHICH Oem coils, the later 81/82 series 4Ro, or the earlier 78-80 series 2H7? IF the 2H7, did you connect the ballast resistor back up in line?? They will burn up if you run the full 12 volts all the time, and with only 1.5 ohms in them, it can also damage the TCI!
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

I would like to upgrade to the green coils but now I am a little weary on doing so.

I will update in a few days to see what happens.

Thank you all for the info!!

Ozz
                                Good deal.

Kind of figgered that was it. Bonus is: it's all tuned to the max now.
                                XS1100SF
                                XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                                X