Middle Gear Case Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
    Hammer and cold chisel will work every time to rotate the plug.
    yep. worked for mine
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Yes!!

success! I got the devil plug out. I used a cut off wheel to grind a groove in the top of the plug and then the chisel and BFH took care of the rest. Thanks for all the input couldn't have done it without ya.
      1980 XS1100G
      Tulsa, OK

Comment

Any time you mate two different metals together, such as steel and aluminum, over time, they will bond together, the best way to separate them is to use an Impact Driver, cost about $20.00 for a decent one and no tool box is complete without one. Just remove the bit holder and put on what ever socket you need to break free the nut, bolt, or screw, and most times there won't be any damage and the fastener will be reusable.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

When you put in your new plugs, use a bit of never-seize on them, and a nylon crush washer, and go easy on the torque. If you can't find nylon or plastic crush washers, a washer off of an old sparkplug will work. Just like sparkplugs, only tighten them an 1/8 turn or so past lightly seated.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

+ 1 on the anti seize.

I put it on pretty much everything that screws into aluminum.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

A dad trick

If u have a tight or stuck bolt and no air tools Dad said to put the wrench on apply pressure and tap the wrench or bolt with a hammer several times while trying to get it to break free. He said it was like an air ratchet with a hammering effect. Notice TAP and SEVERAL times, you r not trying to knock it loose just help with pressure.
              There is a VERY fine line between "hobby" and "mental Illness"
              I don't own a classic I RIDE one

Brad Norton
              Kearney, Ne

Photojournalist
              Hobbies-Family
              rock and tree climbing, rescue ropes, firefighter, Boy Scouts leader, metal detecting and camping

age 49

1980 XS1100SG Special- My very first bike!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MeatTooth View Post
                success! I got the devil plug out. I used a cut off wheel to grind a groove in the top of the plug and then the chisel and BFH took care of the rest. Thanks for all the input couldn't have done it without ya.
                Hi Taylor and welcome,
                well, now the bastard is out, what next? I got mine out by filing two flats on the plug head that I could get an open-end wrench on but, like yours, the hex socket was cammed out too badly to do the plug up again, let alone undo it again the next time I did a middle gear oil change. What I did was drill the hex hole out to 6mm, saw off an M6 hex head bolt short enough that the head went down flush with the top of the plug and braze it in there. Did the final drive unit plug too. Now they get removed with a box-end wrench, no more problem.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X