Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fall on your sword?

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    Depending on how much wrist I used I was getting 33 to 42 mpg with the new needles you gave me and the smaller jets. When it dropped down to 27 to 30 mpg again after refilling the rear tire I was more than a little concerned. WTH?

I'll commit seppuku after I check the valves and the cam chain tomorrow.

Regards,

Scott

Hopefully you wont have to , it looks like you have the situation in hand , just a matter of preflight checklist D'oh
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I was talin' about the manual for the TOOLs, not the bike. I know you have the bike manual, my son.
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

ahh heres the problem

tore apart my front end today and this is what I found , all the threads on this are correct it is a pita but very doable it took me longer to get the it off than it did to dremel out the bottom race, the top one popped out with only a little bit of blunt force trauma and the bottom bearing was easy to cut off, I guess its only hard if you are trying to save the parts. the hardest part of the job was getting the front of the bike off the ground, any best practices on raising the front end , I just dont feel that comfortable with raising up the bike resting only on the center stand, especially when the back tire touches and I can see the center stand start to lift?? oh yeah this a crappy cell picture
        Last edited by GARTHXS; 09-03-2009, 02:23 AM. Reason: add
        91 kwaka kz1000p
        Stock

Comment

What the hell is that, Garth?

Looks like a gnarley old plastic ferrule from the P-trap plumbing under the sink ... lol ... sure that's the right photo?
          80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

loose ends

So I am just wrapping up loose ends repainting the TT changing the buckets for the clocks and cleaning all the parts to re install the front end , is there a specific torque for the headset ?
            91 kwaka kz1000p
            Stock

Comment

Originally posted by garthxs View Post

. the hardest part of the job was getting the front of the bike off the ground, any best practices on raising the front end , I just dont feel that comfortable with raising up the bike resting only on the center stand, especially when the back tire touches and I can see the center stand start to lift?? oh yeah this a crappy cell picture
              I always use a small floor jack under the oil filter or front of crankcase
              to jack up the front of the bike. Any small jack will do.
              Also a good idea to use a ratchet strap or something to tie the
              centerstand back so it cannot possibly collapse.
              John
              Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
              '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
              '78 CB750F ( The F)
              '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
              New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
              Then: '76 CB550K
              '78 CB750F
              '84 VF1100S
              And still Looking!

Comment

thanks

I wonderd about it resting on the motor it won't damage the filter cup?
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

Comment

I wonderd about it resting on the motor it won't damage the filter cup?
                  I've never had any problem.
                  If you're concerned, put a short piece of 1x4 between them.
                  I suppose it does depend on what the top of the jack looks like.
                  John
                  Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
                  '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
                  '78 CB750F ( The F)
                  '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
                  New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
                  Then: '76 CB550K
                  '78 CB750F
                  '84 VF1100S
                  And still Looking!

Comment

wiggles begone

new bearings did the trick , I rode to work today and she flies straight as an arrow, so much better I even dragged a peg and my right blinker problem is fixed too some of the wires to the switch itself came off and I sweated them back on and cleaned it all with contact cleaner what a difference. I am onsidering putting my vetter on this bike but the fairing needs a little work and paint to fit on my stocker
                    91 kwaka kz1000p
                    Stock

Comment

Way to go, Garth ... I like 'em better when they go where ya' point 'em too.
                      80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

If your content that the wheel and head bearings are good and tires are properly inflated then check wheel alignment. Check that the swing arm bearings are good and that the swing arm is centered to specs. If the swing arm is centered out of spec the rear end will move back and forth as the rear wheel tries to track off center but is being pulled to center by the bikes forward motion. This effect would be a mild wiggle at slow speeds but very noticeable at higher speeds.
                        Rob
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

new bearings did the trick , I rode to work today and she flies straight as an arrow, so much better I even dragged a peg and my right blinker problem is fixed too some of the wires to the switch itself came off and I sweated them back on and cleaned it all with contact cleaner what a difference. I am onsidering putting my vetter on this bike but the fairing needs a little work and paint to fit on my stocker
                          Which bearings did you change?
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Rob ... he changed out the upper and lower steering head bearings, races and grease seals ... looks like he's got it right judging by his last post. He talks in a common form of California slang and is hard to understand sometimes ...
                            80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Working...
                            X