No announcement yet.

wiggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop actually does some of the work for you, if you are running their tires you can go to their website and enter the tire model and choose xs1100 and it will give you dunlops recommended air pressure for their specific tires for the front and rear on our bikes.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

bridgestone bt45 vrated

just checked the bridge stone site and max psi for front and rear is an astounding 43lbs ,minimum for the rear is 36 so maybe i will try matching the psi in front and rear to 36 ?
      Last edited by GARTHXS; 08-17-2009, 11:14 PM. Reason: double oops typo
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

As a tyre fitter years ago, Craz
        has it spot on, the max tyre pressure is for max
        load, an over inflated tyre has less thread patch on the road which can cause exsive wear and in the wet can make the tyre loose traction.
        But to each there own.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Garth ...

you are a damn porker !! ... you need to get your butt to the gym and find a spinning class ... If I were still there I'd be makin' you sweat bigtime. Big bones my butt ... your daily workout consists of 12 oz curls ... shape up, Marine ... your tires will last longer and may even cure the wiggle.

I know you're an old experienced Yamaha mech, but the book says to make the front end of the axle clamp touch, and that the gap is towards the rear?
          T.C.
          Plus 1 on this TC ... that is the way I do mine too. Planedick has even reported curing a wobble on Pathfinder by closing the gap at the front of the clamp ...
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

not me !

So I rode the f'er today and it seemed ok for a while and the more I rode the more I seemed to notice it. I went home and rechecked the front end and every thing seemed tight and no rough spots on the head bearing. But this bike doesn't go straight , btw I already changed the fork oil and run 15lbs psi in forks , I thought I must be crazy, so I am out riding the 78 and it is as smooth as silk what am I missing?????
            91 kwaka kz1000p
            Stock

Comment

Those forks ...

came off that G wreck you had, didn't they? F'ers don't have air forks, right? Got a bent leg or tube there, possibly? Is the same amount of
              'tube' stickin' up above the top clamp on the steering head on both sides? Should be roughly an eighth or sixteenth on each side ....
              80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

forks

they are set in the trees evenly , I am going to re check the wheels this morning and see what I find
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

Comment

sneaking suspician

so I checked the wheels just now and the front looks good no bumps or apparent irregularities in the wheel or tire , also the rear tire looked fine but i clamped a pencil to the swing arm and pushed it next to the rim about with 1mm gap and spun the wheel and it touched in one spot , so i marked the spot and spun more and it keeps hitting the same spot , I think the rear rim might be bent somehow ? any ways 3phase and Bobber wil be down on friday maybe the extra sets of eyes will be able to really figure out whats up
                  91 kwaka kz1000p
                  Stock

Comment

Take what Geezer says bout tires and pressure to the bank. Have seen several on here that are runnin Way to low air pressure..........causes all kind of erratic bike behavior, and most important.......saftey. Pay no attention to the old bike manuals...........pay attention to sidewalls of tires and whats on them!
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have a bit of bend in my back wheel too, Garth, that I noticed when I put on a new tire recently. I told the shop that did the mounting that have a spare wheel, but the guy said he doubted that I would even notice it .... he was right ... imperceptable. Maybe yours is worse?

Maybe a defective tire too ?? .... did they mount it with the arrow facing the right direction and on the correct side of the bike with the dot at the valve stem, I wonder?
                      80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
                        Maybe a defective tire too ?? ....

did they mount it with the arrow facing the right direction and on the correct side of the bike with the dot at the valve stem, I wonder?
                        Good thoughts there, Wiz.

Last month when I was down in San Diego we spent a couple of days getting his bike set up, running, and registered. With the bike on the centerstand I had Garth sit on the passenger section of the seat and lean back to get the front wheel off the ground so I could do a lift, shake and turn test on the front end. I checked the swingarm and the rear wheel after he was off the bike.

The fork tube bushings were good with no slop. The steering head bearings were snug with no binding and the handlebars turned smoothly lock-to-lock.

The swingarm felt okay and both rear shocks are new.

The front and rear wheel bearings rolled nicely with no play or binding.

There's a remotely possible that the front and rear wheels are out of alignment or the frame is bent but I didn't see any noticable offset or dogtailing when we were riding. I'll check it all over again tomorrow or whenever Bobber and I make it over to Garth's place.

I'm really hoping it's bad/mismounted tire or tread. Bobber and I should be able to help the kid get the wiggly old cow sorted and dancing properly:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSyQvZS3new&fmt=18

Regards,

Scott
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Interesting clip, there ..

Scotty (actually, I think you're loosin' it ) ... are you sure you guys can figure this wobble thang out without ... MOI ...?? ... lol
                          80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Scotty (actually, I think you're loosin' it ) ... are you sure you guys can figure this wobble thang out without ... MOI ...?? ... lol
                            Sorry, it's Garth's thread title.

I was kind of scared to open the cheese whiz and tool thread too until I saw it was Tony's.

If you can stop by this weekend that'd be great . . . my bike runs hot, straight, and normal for absolutely unprintable speeds and distances but that doesn't help Garth. I'm baffled and I'm almost afraid I'll end up rolling and kicking around on the sidewalk making letters before the weekend is over.

Regards,

Scott
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I have a bit of bend in my back wheel too, Garth, that I noticed when I put on a new tire recently. I told the shop that did the mounting that have a spare wheel, but the guy said he doubted that I would even notice it .... he was right ... imperceptable. Maybe yours is worse?
                              I used to have a Norton that had a rear wheel was bent like a potato chip. I should have been able to feel it but it road great. My buddies used to tease me about it but I never saw how bad it was until we swapped bikes once on a ride. Then I had to fix it...

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

wobble

hopefully this weeble wont woble and fall down!
                                91 kwaka kz1000p
                                Stock

Comment

Working...
                                X