I have fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have fire!

So I finally got the second parts bike home. It's the one with the better looking ignition parts. The difference was more than I expected. I already knew the vacuum pump in the pickup coil plate was frozen and I already knew someone had repaired - or attempted to repair, I don't know which - the wires to the pickup coils. When I pulled the timing plate off, however, I made two unexpected discoveries. The first was a big piece of broken porcelain, triangular shaped, measuring about two inches at the wide end and about 1.5 inches long.. I have not found, yet, the porcelain motorcycle part that this piece broke off of, but I swear it is much to big to have accidentally slipped into the crack between the timing plate and the crankcase. I am not sure what PO was doing.

Second, I discovered that the advancer unit was a solid piece of rust. You could barely see the joints. After I pried it off it it first looked like the rust also had damaged the end of the crankshaft. I was lucky. The crank is apparently made of better steel. It polished up fine. I replaced the timing plate and the advancer with parts from the second parts bike.

Hit the starter button. Spark on both one and two. I didn't check three and four, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

This is probably more info than anyone here cares about, but already I tried talking to my wife. If a stare was ever blanker it certainly killed the recipient. She supports my motorcycle ventures as long as I don't drag her into them.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Patrick, that is all a guy could ask!!! :-)

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
    She supports my motorcycle ventures as long as I don't drag her into them.

Patrick
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Patrick, maybe the piece of porcelain fell into the cover when something was dropped or broken next to the bike as it was being worked on, then the cover was put back on the engine. Does it look like a broken dinner plate or what?

It's nice that your wife supports your hobby but -- beware the stare of the Basilisk!

Regards,

Scott
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
      X