No headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No headlight

My plan with my new XS11 project is to see if the motor runs before I do anything else. I have no spark, but I haven't brought home the parts bike that has the better ignition parts yet. So I've been messing with the other electrics.

So far everything works, except the headlight. I have blinkers flash, the taillight works, the horn beeps and the brake lights work. The starter turns the motor, albeit with no spakr as yet. But the headlight doesn't work on high or low. I have juice across the headlight fuse, but then it just goes away. I took the left hand switch apart and cleaned the contacts, but that really was irrelevant since no juice is getting in there. I switched out the reserve lighting unit just because I had another, but that was also irrelevant because I could find no live wire there either. I am achieving some very clean contacts anyway.

Which component can be bad and knock out the whole headlight circuit?

I know if could be a bad wire somewhere inside the harness, but I would prefer to try everything else before I start unwinding all those miles fo electrical tape. I will worry about that after it runs when I start cosmetic work.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

The headlight doesn't come on until the engine starts.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Yep, the alternator triggers the headlight relay when the engine starts.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You won't have any headlight without the engine running. The headlight relay, which provides the juice to the reserve lighting unit gets it's feed from the alternator. So, no run, no alternator, no headlight. Get the engine running first, then see if you have headlight issues.

Comment

check the headlight relay

Pull the plug and see , you should have 7 volts on the yellow wire
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Well that would explain it. Back to the spark.
            The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
            1969 Yamaha DT1B
            Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

You can jump out the headlight relay if you want to test the lights.

Red/Yellow<--->Blue/Black

The head and instument lights should come on with the key that way.
              XS1100SF
              XS1100F

Comment

funny... my headlite wont come on until i turn the headlite switch on
                careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

My SG headlight would turn on with the key but i used to ride until the dead of winter.Not fun at 1am in the morning when you go to hit the start button and headlight is on and sapping power from the battery.Thank God i never got stuck but that's why i had to fix my headlight problem.Also wanted a year ago to return bike to almost stock condition.
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by mxmikie View Post
                    funny... my headlite wont come on until i turn the headlite switch on
                    Looks like you've got some electrical work to do. It's not supposed to work that way...
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      Looks like you've got some electrical work to do. It's not supposed to work that way...
                      that is how the 1978 was

Comment

Yep 1979 was the year the feds decided the average biker is not smart enough to turn on his headlight...
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Mine comes on with the key also.
                          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by mxmikie View Post
                            that is how the 1978 was
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-k-86MEHno

Comment

Working...
                            X