Dipstick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dipstick

In this case I guess I'm the dipstick... I have 2 of the middle/final drive dip sticks but I can't find either of them.

My solution, I'm going to make one. Anybody care to measure one up for me? I'll need the length from the stops and the distance from then ends to the low and high marks. After I'm done, I'll do up a tech tip on how to make your own...

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Tony,

The measurements are here on the site, do a search.

Comment

oops got it covered i see
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

It's above in the Tech Tips Clickie
        Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
        '07 FJR1300

Comment

OK, I've got some time to kill here today so try this. I drew this bad boy up and put 10 to a sheet. Print it off on a sheet of card stock, then trim out with an xacto or whatever. Presto. 10 disposable dipsticks. Complete in technocolor with idiot tags

Perfect for lazy bastards like myself or those who don't have time to cut out something more permanent. If you really want to live on the edge, print in on a vinyl sheet or just laminate it before trimming, then you can wipe it off and use it over again.

Make sure that your page scaling is 100% or that "Fit to Page" is not checked in your Print Settings.

http://cid-dd48badbf1b0b501.skydrive...C_dipstick.pdf
          '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Xj dipstick

The cut out paper ones would be nice to use on the XJ'S. The plastic one will not fit under the air box on the XJ. I used one off my 80 and made some new ones out of 1/4 thick plastic, but then i found out they won't work on my bike.
            Thanks Tom
            82 XJ DAILY RIDE
            78 XS1100E FIXING UP
            79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
            79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
            80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
            82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Then just cut in half in the middle and you'll have 2 separate sticks, but then they should fit.
              '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

OK, I've got some time to kill here today so try this. I drew this bad boy up and put 10 to a sheet. Print it off on a sheet of card stock, then trim out with an xacto or whatever. Presto. 10 disposable dipsticks. Complete in technocolor with idiot tags
                Thanks for the sheet of dipsticks. I was going to buy the real one but the guy at the mc shop was a d***.Its amazing how much money you can spend somewhere and still be treated like crap.Sorry for the rant. thanks again
                1980 Midnight Special Its so fast it blew the gold right off
                mikes xs green monster coils, ss brake lines,
                Previous Bike
                1973 XS650

Comment

This is awesome. Thanks, Bgrubb. Changing the middle and final drive oils are on tap for this weekend. These will make it way easier.
                  79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
                  79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
                  79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Originally posted by bgrubb7 View Post

Perfect for lazy bastards like myself or those who don't have time to cut out something more permanent. If you really want to live on the edge, print in on a vinyl sheet or just laminate it before trimming, then you can wipe it off and use it over again.

Make sure that your page scaling is 100% or that "Fit to Page" is not checked in your Print Settings.

Not too shabby! Could even be used as a template for making a re-usable one if you wanted to go that route! Mind if I host a copy on my website?
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

I bent one up out of brass rod used for brazing. It's quick and dirty, just the way I like it. I used a deburring file to notch in the upper and lower limits...

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Who you calling a dipstick?
                        1980 special (Phyllis)
                        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by bgrubb7 View Post

NOW THAT'S THINKIN WITH YER DIPSTICK JIMMY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I just used a pair of scissors to cut mine out of a beer can

Cheap (I am) and cheerful
                            Brian
                            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Thanks bgrubb7,

I just made a copy onto a transparency (for overhead projectors), they are flexable and oil will wipe right off. I had not gotten around to making one from the measured drawing here in the site yet.
                              Thanks for your efforts!!
                              LuckyEddie
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
                              1982 XV750J Virago
                              1976 GL1000
                              1978 GL1000 Supercharged
                              1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X