Stopped Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped Starting

Hello, it's me again. Two days ago my 1981 XS1100 Midnight Special stopped starting for me. I've had to push start it ever since then. I went to a mechanic and he told me to replace the regulator rectifier so I did and that didn't work. All my fuses are good and I've checked the wiring and that all seems in order. It'll try to start but it doesn't get anywhere. It's like 1 turn over then something like humming as it tries again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    1981 XS1100L Midnight Special

Have you charged the battery??

Is the battery old or new??

Comment

yep

The battery is pushing 12.5 and 14 when I rev. It's a brand new battery got it last week.

Comment

Sounds like a starter clutch. I'm not certain, but if the starter is spinning, but only humming, and the engine is not revving, the starter is disengaging when it's not supposed to be.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

The starter isn't really spinning, it sounds like its trying to turn the engine over again but cant. Man we really need to be able to post video on here that would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping View Post
            The starter isn't really spinning, it sounds like its trying to turn the engine over again but cant. Man we really need to be able to post video on here that would help.
            You CAN post video. Post it elsewhere, and link to it in your post here. People do it all the time.

If the starter is making noise, is it spinning, or is it just loaded against the engine? You could take it out (3 bolts) and ground it to the frame, then see if it's spinning.

Does it make any difference if you use the starter button or try shorting cross the starter solenoid?
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Sounds like either the ground connections are bad, or the starter's given up and needs to be replaced to me.

Starter drives tend to not engage or will disengage during starting and whine..

Solenoids can sometimes be the problem, but yours sound like it's working to me...
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Your battery voltage & charging voltages sound right.
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I think it's loaded against the engine, the starters not spinning free if that's what you mean. Like is said it'll turn over once or so and then it can't anymore, it'll still try though. Tried jumping the solenoid and still get nothing, just the same "its trying but cant quite get it going".
                  Last edited by Sleeping; 08-06-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Not an electrical guru for sure, but that sounds like either your battery is bad (yes I know you just replaced it and yes it CAN still be bad, not likely but could be) or your starter is giving up the ghost.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Well I just walked out there pushed the start button and it started. Turned it off and now it wont start again. I don't know if that means something or not. Whats the easiest way to check the starter?

Comment

Just for S&Gs try jumping it off your car battery. If it starts, it is very likely the battery. Otherwise, it could be a bad spot in the starter motor.

I had a Toyota Truck that did this. Hit the starter key several times and eventually it would start....for a while....then it would not. Sometimes you just turn the key and it starts, other times hit the key some, other time ALOT. Finally replaced the starter, never had a problem again.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Just for S&Gs try jumping it off your car battery. If it starts, it is very likely the battery. Otherwise, it could be a bad spot in the starter motor.

I had a Toyota Truck that did this. Hit the starter key several times and eventually it would start....for a while....then it would not. Sometimes you just turn the key and it starts, other times hit the key some, other time ALOT. Finally replaced the starter, never had a problem again.
                          I had that same problem on one of my previous cages too. Finally got to the point where I held a large wrench on the floor in front of the passenger seat so I could get out and touch the solenoid to turn the starter and get it to start. Replacing the starter finally fixed the issue.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey Bug,

That works if the solenoid is whats bad, mine was bad spot on the starter motor windings. If it came to rest with that spot on the brushes it would not start, if you keep hitting it with voltage it would eventually rotate enough to get past that spot and work fine until the next time that spot landed on the brushes. Had the same thing with an in tank fuel pump on a Dodge Dakota, that sucked to change out.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Pull the starter off and check the brushes. Spec for the min length is in the book. While your in there clean and re- grease the gears and bushings. Bench test and it all is well reinstall and try it. At least that way you know its not a starter problem if it still dose not work and you have a rebuilt starter.
                              wingnut
                              81 SH (Daily Ride)
                              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X