loss of everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of everything

Hello everyone..Last nite took my bike out for a ride.Got bout 4miles from the house turned the corner and i lost all power to my bike..pulled over to the side of the road. i started to make sure my battery term were not loose of course it wasnt that.Then i checked my fuses all of those were good. checked all my grounds they were all intact and corrosion free. got home checked my batt with my voltage tester i had 13volts at the battery..what would cause me to have no juice at all...thanks in advance,chad
    1978 xs1100 e

Main swith connector inside headlight shell may be melted/ corroded - take your pick

Or the main switch may just be broke.......\

There are three wire there, red, blue, brown. You can troubleshoot the switch by jumping the red to the brown and blue and everything should come alive.

Comment

If you have the glass bottle type fuses you might want to check continuity 'cause sometimes they look good but are'nt. Also the main fuse on the left side could be suspect. Let us know what you find. HTH
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I have the spade type fuse block which i bought from tc.I changed all the fuses with no luck at all.I will checked the head light bucket to see whats goin on there
        1978 xs1100 e

Comment

Changing that fuse block doesn't change your MAIN fuse. Go back to Schming's post.

BUT.. if it is the main fuse, there has to be a reason it blew?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

We can't be sure he even HAS a main fuse ( I assume you meant the hidden one on the 80 an up). He hasn't told us which model he has.

Comment

its a 78 xs1100
              1978 xs1100 e

Comment

The main fuse on the 78 is on the multi-fuse block under the right side cover.

Comment

Hey sparky30, the only other thing it could be is You might have accidentally rode your '78 XS1100E 4 miles from your home right smack dab into a "DEAD ZONE" Seen it on TV happens all the time. There is another one on 403 South as soon as you get into Johnstown Be vewwy cawwfull. Lose reception there all the time probably like I will with this post and i even have verizon. No really did You find out whats up with it yet?
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

thanks for the input everybody what it ended up bein a connecter come loose
                    1978 xs1100 e

Comment

Originally posted by sparky30 View Post
                      thanks for the input everybody what it ended up bein a connecter come loose
                      Which connector? Helps to know where to look, specifically for the next guy.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        Which connector? Helps to know where to look, specifically for the next guy.
                        it was the starter solinoid connector
                        1978 xs1100 e

Comment

Working...
                        X