79 XS11SF triple tree bearings & Fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS11SF triple tree bearings & Fork seals

Getting ready to change the tree bearings. Ordered a set from All balls. I have a lower XJ triple tree with a bearing on it I was going to practice on. Looks like I'll have to cut them off with a dremel Eh?

While it's off I'm going to change the fork seals. The upper forks have a little rust that has attacked them in a few low spots but I think they can be cleaned up.

Aquirred a set of front forks off of an XJ11 that have the adjustment knob at the top and air assist. Anyone know if the additional valve dampening adjustment could be used with th 79 upper forks along with the XJ dampening rod?
    Richard

Bearings/seals got here this week. Finally had some time last night to tear the triple tree down. Had a practice run removing a bearing from a spare XJ1100 triple tree with no problems. Performed the same on the Specials triple tree with no problems. Remounted it and started to remove the upper forks. It was then that I noticed where someone had beat the hell out of the fork just above the seal , bad enough that I wont be able to use them.

I do however have the XJ1100 upper forks which are in good shape. Problem is they wont work with the current tubes for the light mount unless I cut them down so I can install the air rings on the forks just below the top triple tree. It's either that or weld up the air hole and either use the top air valves from the special forks or no air and the damper dial off the XJ forks...

Whatcha think ?

Thanks,
    Richard

Comment

Progressive springs? Lots of folks that have installed the progressive springs say they do not need the air anymore. JAT
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Thought about that too. I'll still have to weld up the air hole in the upper fork. I't will be hidden under the light mount tube.

Been trying to source a set of special forks so I dont have to bastardize this set of XJ forks.
        Richard

Comment

Went ahead and welded up the air hole on the XJ forks. Used the XJ springs, uppers tubes, dampening rod minus the adjustable valving. Installed them on my XS lowers with new seals and the top mount air valve. Slides were in good shape on both.

Got it all back together and took it out for a spin. Steers and rides great. Put 15psi in for starters. It's just a tad stiffer that it was, but it had no oil just springs.
          Richard

Comment

Working...
          X