Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it bad?

go ahead, hit me with your best shot:

did the 2nd gear fix, resealed pan, clutch basket back in... there is a big "extra" washer laying around now... the one on the very left of the counter shaft, between the wall and middle F!ing gear...

just poor or very bad?
    82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
    No longer active member.

welllll.......The gears in there will tend to slap around like a bad rod bearing without it, as in.....yep....you had better go back in one more time. Sorry
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

no you didn't
      82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
      No longer active member.

Comment

Yeah... You're gonna have to get back in there and put it back. It's rather important that everything is spaced correctly in there. Good thing you caught it now, and not while out on the road.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

used "right stuff" for gasket,

let's see how it affected the threads
          82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
          No longer active member.

Comment

I used the Permatex Ultra Black on all my covers and oil pan. it gets a little on the bolt threads, but as long as it's dried, it comes off pretty easy. Just be sure you use a wire brush to clean it all off before putting it back together. Brake parts cleaner is a good solvent for the mating surfaces, to be sure it's nice and clean for the gasket stuff to stick to. Might want to loctite (blue only!) all the bolts too.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Hey Greg,

Are you sure it's that washer?? There are two large thick thrust washers for the clutch, one down inside the clutch between the boss and the basket, and the other slightly smaller diameter one that goes behind the basket on the clutch shaft next to the engine. Just wanted to make sure that you verified that you had those washer in the right place as well. Tod showed us what happens if you mix those washers up, the bearing on the clutch shaft doesn't get lubed properly, and can cause damage to the clutch basket bearing!
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think it's collar 32, the ring behind the countershaft bolt, it has the same diameter, but it is odd to place back in...
                82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                No longer active member.

Comment

it feels like the bolt loses vertical contact with the shaft because of that spacer, but checking on the other side (inside the engine) I think I see a washer between middle gear and the wall. The middle gear and the gear next to it have a couple mil. play.

So it is either that collar which is hard to align because of the very small lip it rests on, or another washer from the gear assembly.
                  82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                  No longer active member.

Comment

Originally posted by greg maz View Post
                    I think it's collar 32, the ring behind the countershaft bolt, it has the same diameter, but it is odd to place back in...
                    Hey Greg,

STOP!! IF it's #32, then it's not ON the countershaft on the INSIDE of the tranny case!! #32 fits on the outside of the case, on the clutch side, it's the large collar washer that goes with the large bolt/washer that holds the countershaft in place with that 51 ft/lbs of torque. The larger washer with the bolt has a SHOULDER and that collar needs to be well centered in it, otherwise it will not torque correctly, and could even vibrate loose...just ask 3Phase/Scott!
                    T.C.

T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks a bunch TC, as always

I figured it out but forgot to mention the countershaft is still in (being all lazy) and that I was looking at the bolt from the outside of the engine

was waiting for confirmation to proceed reassembly

cheers

"I did it myyyyyyyyyyyy waaay"
                      82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                      No longer active member.

Comment

Working...
                      X