how do you 1 man flip the beast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Varnae View Post
    Honestly, I think what helped alot with getting mine back in was when trying to get it to slide in that last quarter inch, wiggle the back wheel a little bit. When I did that, it just clicked right into place.
    That last 1/4" IS the hardest part. Bigfoot and I discovered that having one person on each side helps, especially if the person on the left side of the bike has a small rubber mallet to bump it into place. Worked perfectly for us.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Flip that bike

TC and I just did the repair and I would not even consider doing what we did with the bike right side up. Me and TC layed the bike on its side and then using a 2X4 and I lifted it up and TC guided it. If you are married ask you wife to help or get a buddy to come over to help with the flip. Laying on the floor under the bike holding a shop light, parts, and tools (opps that 3 hands) is very difficult. Plus the constant dripping of fluid that is left over after draining the engine.
      Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
      82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
      Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Comment

can't promise I won't swear

especially now that I had such a hard time flipping it

well will try to hold the profanities until the unflipping

thx for the tricks
        82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
        No longer active member.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigge_al View Post
          TC and I just did the repair and I would not even consider doing what we did with the bike right side up. Me and TC layed the bike on its side and then using a 2X4 and I lifted it up and TC guided it. If you are married ask you wife to help or get a buddy to come over to help with the flip. Laying on the floor under the bike holding a shop light, parts, and tools (opps that 3 hands) is very difficult. Plus the constant dripping of fluid that is left over after draining the engine.
          Laying on the floor is just about the only downside to that. The shop light (if you even need it) sits on the floor, shining up into the tranny. The parts are what you hold (in both hands), and there is no dripping, since it all drained into the oil pan which you already removed. I figure that since you don't have to worry about moving/damaging any of the mirrors/controls/fairing/windshield/accessories on the top side, laying on the floor is a much better trade-off.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Like This.....

With a couple of ratchet straps and some heavy duty screw in hooks......
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              Some gravel on concrete.. touch the front brake..

Oops.. you meant in your garage?? Sorry..

Tod
              Yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk!!!!!!
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                Some light reading on another forum about my adventure into repairing my XS's tranny problem.
                Very nice! That was a fun read.
                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I did mine by raising it with an engine hoist. Took the tank off and tied ropes around the stem and... voila! It is similar to the rafter lift.
                  We actually had to lower it some to make it more comfortable for the arms.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                  X