Clear All

• how do you 1 man flip the beast?

doing gear fix, well going to

as soon as someone gives me an idea of how to flip 600 lbs solo

not an important thread

but kind of stuck there
    82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
    No longer active member.

Some gravel on concrete.. touch the front brake..

Oops.. you meant in your garage?? Sorry..

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Flipped

Some gravel on concrete.. touch the front brake..
      With only one hand
      Nubee

Comment

Originally posted by greg maz View Post
        doing gear fix, well going to

as soon as someone gives me an idea of how to flip 600 lbs solo

not an important thread

but kind of stuck there
        Hi Greg,
        Try the tech tips section. I recall seeing pictures somewhere of hanging the bike up with a winch /cumalong from the rafters attached to the steering head.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I was thinking maybe the first ride out with stainless brake lines might do it also...

Have you thought about a come-along in the rafters and work on the beast vertical?

A small frame mode from some 4x4's could sub for the garage rafters.

I once suspended a 19 foot jet boat in a friends garage by doubling some 2x6's from the floor to the rafters and used the rafters to just control the lateral movement of the 2x6 braces. Used a couple of the heavy yellow nylon tow straps to suspend the boat.

Wow missed it by that much....
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Some light reading on another forum about my adventure into repairing my XS's tranny problem. Watch the pic progression a few posts down and you'll see how I did it. I left the crash bars on the left side and it rolled right over fairly easy. I did use the center stand a s a lever for that last little Umph. I did the complete repair and roll over (both ways) solo.
            Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
            '07 FJR1300

Comment

looks real cool

I'll read & do all that later

but I don't have the back rails and it's the xj cruiser this time

good picture with the dog helping
              82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
              No longer active member.

Comment

btw I want that cooler, got the oil filter kit already, where did you get that?
                82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                No longer active member.

Comment

I was in traffic dreaming yesterday about those ss lines, please don't mention
                  82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                  No longer active member.

Comment

Originally posted by greg maz View Post
                    btw I want that cooler, got the oil filter kit already, where did you get that?
                    That cooler is toast. I had to pull it at a friends house about an hour north of here last Sat. It was spraying a fine mist of oil all over the front of my engine. And wouldn't you know, I didn't zip my tail bag pocket and lost the adapter somewhere Ohh well, don't really need an oil cooler in California anyway
                    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                    '07 FJR1300

Comment

I guess it might be easier in some ways to do the tranny fix with it upside down, but IMHO, I much prefer doing it right-side up. The shift forks might try to fall out, while you're trying to put them back in, but gravity is actually your friend once everything is set. I did it twice on the side stand, and once on Russ79's bike lift (this last weekend) - once for each time a gear went out. No problems with it right-side up.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

don't jinx me now

tell me what to watch for please

cuz it took 3 to do it niftly

finally
                        82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                        No longer active member.

Comment

Agree with Catotonicbug..........way easier as you use the shift fork shaft to hold 2 and 3 fork up out of the way while putting shaft assembly back in.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have to agree with CatatonicBug as well. DGSXER and I did mine with it on the center stand and had it swapped out actually fairly quickly. Just remember, don't curse at it, talk nicely to the bike and things will go much smoother. :-) Honestly, I think what helped alot with getting mine back in was when trying to get it to slide in that last quarter inch, wiggle the back wheel a little bit. When I did that, it just clicked right into place.
                            If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

I have always done it on the centerstand. Hardest part is getting the counter shaft back in but after doing it a couple times, that wasn't even that hard.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X