No announcement yet.

Max had a stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright I am seeking out an electrical guru who might be able to make a house call...if so then he will save me some bucks as well so hopefully he can make it this weekend Beer and /or lunch will be on me...not literally...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey

Are you posting on the XJ-Owners group list ?
      XJ1100K
      Avon rubber
      MikesXS black coils
      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
      MikesXS front master
      Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
      Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
      Progressive fork springs
      CIBIE headlight reflector
      YICS Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Axel View Post
        Primary 2.5 ohms plus or minus 10% at 68 degrees F
        Secondary 1k ohms plus or minus 20% at 68 degrees F
        Originally posted by Axel View Post
        They are from the XJ manual . Caps off .

Hey Axel,

You may need to get your glasses checked!

Secondary is 11 k ohms, not 1 k ohm!

The replacement coil...complete was a spare known working one from my 81SH that I had left over from my MikesXS coil upgrade. I haven't re-read the Surrender thread, so I can't remember the specifics regarding the replacement, but I think I found low specs on the suspect bad coil!?

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Omg

Sorry - my bad
          XJ1100K
          Avon rubber
          MikesXS black coils
          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
          MikesXS front master
          Progressive fork springs
          YICS Eliminator

Comment

No surrender thread

TC page 2 post 21 ...we found all 4 wires OL then you pulled the caps off and tested the wires after cutting them back wires 1-4 were 15Kohms and 2-3 were still OL determined 2-3 coil was going or already gone...and then you swapped it out with one of yours.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Are you sure that didn't say 10k ohms with the caps removed? What kind of manual?

Sorry - everybody's typing at the same time - I guess I'm the slow poke .
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

BNE,

I have the same issue with Thunderstruck after a bath. Runs like junk for the first mile or so then clears up and no trouble at all. Have not gotten caught in a good rain yet though. But your description sounds like it just coincided closely with a failing coil, or failing pick-up coil perhaps.

I would tend to agree that the 2-3 coil sounds suspect. I would also agree that you can pull the tank and switch leads to the coils and switch plug wires between 3-4 and 1-2. If you just switch the leads the bike will not run, you essentially throw your timing out. I have seen this happen when someone replaced the timing assembly and got the coils miswired. We switched the leads and she fired right up. If the problem then switches to 1-4 you know it is coil related. If it stays with 2-3 then I would suspect the pick up coil.

I do seriously doubt this is fuel/carb related.
                Last edited by DGXSER; 07-28-2009, 09:48 PM.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  BNE,

I have the same issue with Thunderstruck after a bath. Runs like junk for the first mile or so then clears up and no trouble at all. Have not gotten caught in a good rain yet though. But your description sounds like it just coincided closely with a failing coil, or failing pick-up coil perhaps.

I would tend to agree that the 2-3 coil sounds suspect. I would also agree that you can pull the tank and switch leads to the coils and switch plug wires between 3-4 and 1-2. If you just switch the leads the bike will not run, you essentially throw your timing out. I have seen this happen when someone replaced the timing assembly and got the coils miswired. We switched the leads and she fired right up. If the problem then switches to 1-4 you know it is coil related. If it stays with 2-3 then I would suspect the pick up coil.

Well at this point your analysis seems to be accurate...I cant fathom it being in the carbs...both 2 and 3 cyls going at the same time due to carbs? I think not...I just ran out and bought a cheapie DMM but forgot the freakin batteries...aw tmrw is another day...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Confused

I may be remembering this wrong but I thought that when I changed the triggers but not the spark plug wires - the bike ran . Although on a different two cylinders . In my case the coils were good . The TCI was bad .
                    XJ1100K
                    Avon rubber
                    MikesXS black coils
                    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                    MikesXS front master
                    Progressive fork springs
                    YICS Eliminator

Comment

BNE,

Hey DG,

I think you meant to say that he needs to swap 1-4 with 2-3 cylinders locations when he swaps the coil power/trigger connectors.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC,

I think we said the same thing in essence, I figured (and intended to suggest, but may have been misleading or unclear) switching plug wires between 3 and 4 and then between 1 and 2 would basically be switching the coils. As in take the plug wire from 3 and move it to 4 and from 4 to 3, then move plug wire from 2 to 1 and from 1 to 2. Keeping the trigger wires firing the same plugs, but moving which coil fired those plugs.

Axel, I just know that when a very talented and knowledgable person swapped out the pickup coils the bike would not start or run, he then thought about the fact he may not have confirmed his routing to keep the pickup coils assigned correctly, we switched the grey and orange leads to the coils and it fired up nicely.
                        Last edited by DGXSER; 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Still confused

Could you please explain to me what this test proves ? Its late here and I'm confused .
                          XJ1100K
                          Avon rubber
                          MikesXS black coils
                          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                          MikesXS front master
                          Progressive fork springs
                          YICS Eliminator

Comment

It tells you if the problem is in the coil or somewhere else.
                            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Axel,

As Doug stated, this will isolate the coils as the issue. You basically switch the incoming wires so the TCI fires (or removes voltage) from the opposite coil when it gets a signal from the pickup coil for cylinders 1 and 4, and 2 and 3. So you also switch the plug wires so the appropriate coil fires the correct plugs when that pick up coil hits. If your problem moves it has to be in the coil as that is the only thing that changes really. It couls also be in the high tension leads, but it is doubtful both went south at the same time.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Axel,

As Doug stated, this will isolate the coils as the issue. You basically switch the incoming wires so the TCI fires (or removes voltage) from the opposite coil when it gets a signal from the pickup coil for cylinders 1 and 4, and 2 and 3. So you also switch the plug wires so the appropriate coil fires the correct plugs when that pick up coil hits. If your problem moves it has to be in the coil as that is the only thing that changes really. It couls also be in the high tension leads, but it is doubtful both went south at the same time.
                                I thought I had a problem with my coils, sounded really close to your problem, I encountered rain at the time and thought it had something to do with it... I did what DGXSER described and found out that I had a bad connection from the incoming wires that tells the coil to fire. The brass connector was broken... Easy fix but caused a lot of trouble, look closely for an ark (not a boat). Good luck.
                                Last edited by WMarshy; 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM.
                                '79 XS11 F
                                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                                X