No announcement yet.

Max had a stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tod - On the XJ coils where the wires go in, is there a short tunnel and a long one, or just two short tunnels? Are the specs the same for the XS and XJ coils (3.3 ohm primary resistance, 15k ohm secondary, 15k volts output).
    Hmmm.. Let's try this again..

I'm definately not the go-to guy for electrical stuff,

I have no clue as to the ohm or voltage values to what wires though...

Now.. what was the question again??

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
      If they're anything like the '81 XS coils they can still be changed. The wire that goes into the short tunnel is soldered to a small copper lead that disappears into the coil body. You have to grind it down slowly with a dremel tool until you start hitting metal, and then carefully grind around the metal until you uncover the soldered connection. You can tell when you're getting close when you start hitting a white gummy substance (no comments from the peanut gallery ). At that point you can unsolder the connection, unwrap the copper lead from the wire core, and by twisting and pulling withdraw the wire. Then you strip the insulation off maybe 1/2" (sorry metric guys) of the new high tension wire, put a little wd-40 on the end of the wire and insert it in the tunnel. Solder the copper lead to the high tension wire core, RTV it, and after it has cured for 24 hours put a piece of duct tape over the repair and use a zip tie around the coil to secure the wire. I don't think there is a way to do it without doing a little destruction first.

Tod - On the XJ coils where the wires go in, is there a short tunnel and a long one, or just two short tunnels? Are the specs the same for the XS and XJ coils (3.3 ohm primary resistance, 15k ohm secondary, 15k volts output).

If they are I have a set out in the man cave I was going to redo that came off an '81 XS. I'd be willing to redo those and exchange them for Max's set if he's willing to spring for the wires - if the DMM shows them to be bad, and assuming the readings on the set I have are within spec when the deed is done.
      Well its gonna be several days before I can get back to troubleshooting the Max...so at this point we all will have to wait til the weekend...just too much other chit going on...To be cont...............
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Now.. what was the question again??
        Tod - let me rephrase it (with smaller words ), do you know if XS coils will work on an XJ?
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Doug, you forgot the BIG pictures and Really big Text!!
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I answered my own question (no big text needed ). According to the Yamaha fiche the XJ and the XS SH have the same coils, so the readings should be the same as well.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I answered my own question (no big text needed ). According to the Yamaha fiche the XJ and the XS SH have the same coils, so the readings should be the same as well.
              Ah ha! In the back of my mind I knew this already but I guess the brain cells must be dying off...LOL yes the Specials and the XJ coils are interchangable...
              Actuall TC replaced on of the 2 coils last year...I will have to re-read the thread where he discussed what we had done to the bike last Aug
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Mad - I wonder if it was the coil on 1 & 4 that you guys replaced. That would sure make sense.

Comment

Max had a stroke

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  Well yesterday I ran about 100 miles and rode thru a bad thunderstorm and got pummeled by rain and wind...after about 10 mins of this I found a spot under an overpass to get out of the rain...10 mins later sun came out and i continued home...bike ran fine...this a.m. I start him up and he idles down off the choke..ok warmed up and I head out for a run...about 8 miles down the road and he starts intermittently running rough...then I smell raw gas..then he runs right...for a mile then starts running badly...again I smell gas...turned around and limped home...bike ran rough and had no power...at home I do the water on the header pipes trick and lo and behold #s 2 and 3 headers are cool no sizzle...so without going into it yet I suspect its the coils...not firing 2 cyls and the raw unburned gas going thru the carbs is what I smell...dunno what I am gonna do...i'm not an electrical guru..so I will start by looking at the carbs.
                  My 78-E does the same thing when I wash it. I run it till it dries and it clears up and has a full recovery. Once you get it dry, you could silicon spray the plug wires, boots. Might help.
                  RickMc
                  <ricks.mailbox@charter.net>
                  1978 XS1100E

Comment

Mad - I wonder if it was the coil on 1 & 4 that you guys replaced. That would sure make sense.
                    Nope..it was the 2-3 coil...I just went back to my thread from last year and reread it...so could it really be bad? Will know soon...to be cont....
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by rickmc2000 View Post
                      My 78-E does the same thing when I wash it. I run it till it dries and it clears up and has a full recovery. Once you get it dry, you could silicon spray the plug wires, boots. Might help.
                      curious ...do these symptoms show up immediately after washing? In my first post I explained that the bike still rode fine that day..and the next a.m. it ran fine for the first 8 miles before it went south...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Specs

Primary 2.5 ohms plus or minus 10% at 68 degrees F
                        Secondary 1k ohms plus or minus 20% at 68 degrees F
                        XJ1100K
                        Avon rubber
                        MikesXS black coils
                        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                        MikesXS front master
                        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                        Progressive fork springs
                        CIBIE headlight reflector
                        YICS Eliminator

Comment

Mad - did you and TC replace the wires on the 2/3 or the entire coil assembly? You might want to take a look at the wires and connectors that go to the 2/3 if it has a history of failure. Still a good idea to test the 2/3 using the DMM though - at least now we know what the readings should be.

Comment

Switch triggers

There is a way you can switch the trigger wire plugs(red/white and grey or red/white and orange) for each coil to see if the condition jumps to 1 and 4 ( test with water mist on header pipes). If it switches the coils are good .
                            Last edited by Axel; 07-28-2009, 08:51 PM.
                            XJ1100K
                            Avon rubber
                            MikesXS black coils
                            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                            MikesXS front master
                            Progressive fork springs
                            YICS Eliminator

Comment

Axel - where did you get those numbers from? if they're the same as the SH coils the primaries should be 3.3 ohms and the secondaries 15k ohms with the caps removed.

Comment

XJ baby

They are from the XJ manual . Caps off .
                                XJ1100K
                                Avon rubber
                                MikesXS black coils
                                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                                MikesXS front master
                                Progressive fork springs
                                YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...