Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Piston ring alert

Hey guys and gals,
    There's a NOS set of piston rings for the first oversize for sale $35 !!!
    Described as: "FOUR New Nos Yamaha XS1100 Piston Rings Ring Set s .25"
    Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350231491748

Good deal if you're doing your first re-build.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

So who got them, I just hit the buy now only to be told the item had ended
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Sorry guys, that was me
      Brian
      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Their not much of a "score" unless you have a set of 1st over size pistons to use them with. This is because to make them fit the standard pistons or the ones you currently have in your bike, you will be filing them to correct the end gap. If you have to file them to use them the amount of over size is not as important. Sorry
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

okaaaay........??????? So why would one buy oversize rings to fit standard pistons ??? or am I missing something here.... I have 1st over pistons already, and I'm assuming Lamric has some too, unless the Poms (sorry Brian) do something different to us here in NZ.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

If you have 1st. over size pistons then 1st. over rings are the best bet but 2nd. over size rings could also be used with the end gaps adjusted accordingly. In ether case the rings only create the seal between the wall and the piston. The piston to wall clearance is the real important spec to keep an eye on when rebuilding. Putting new rings into old bores that do not get a hone will in most cases lead to excessive oil burning. With no hone done new rings of any size will not seat properly. If you hone you may lose your piston to wall spec. So keep an eye on that when you make use of these rings.
            If your already on 1st. oversize pistons, a "score" would be a set of 4 2nd. oversize pistons and rings.
            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Sorry, but I think we have our "wires crossed" here. let me explain betterer . I'm not on 1st over pistons, I have 1st over pistons and i'm going to fit them once my local machine shop bores and hones the barrels to the correct size (and i get some rings to match). I've spent many years building engines, albiet mostly GM V8's, and would never consider fitting oversize rings on standard pistons, or 2nd on 1st, or any combination for that matter. Other than desperation I cant imagine why anybody would

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                Sorry, but I think we have our "wires crossed" here. let me explain betterer . I'm not on 1st over pistons, I have 1st over pistons and i'm going to fit them once my local machine shop bores and hones the barrels to the correct size (and i get some rings to match). I've spent many years building engines, albiet mostly GM V8's, and would never consider fitting oversize rings on standard pistons, or 2nd on 1st, or any combination for that matter. Other than desperation I cant imagine why anybody would
                Will that maks a lot more sense. I didn't know you were gathering parts for a build and already had the pistons. SO yes, a good score.
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                X