No announcement yet.

Anyone build an 1100????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow ray.....that sounds cool. Love to see what you're workin with. I haven't been to s.c. for years. Maybe I should plan a little ride......hmmm.
    '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

Comment

I dont want to sound a critic,
      But Yamaha spent a **** load of time and money designing and developing this motor.
      They are known to have some of the best cylinderhead engineers in the business, why do you think yamaha heads appear on so many other manufacturers engines?
      The XS1100 motor was design of prfection from the start, sure you can scrape another few ponies out of them, but the guys who designed and built them in the first place were building a world beater from the start,
      I believe that the XS1100 motor can be made to run better than stock, can be made to run smoother can be make to tear your arms off with that seat of the pants riding. Just blue print it. simple.
      But what do I know, Im a mechanic by trade, have built motors to the Factory spec for years without having them detonate. but I would never ever presume that I know better than a labratory of paid engineers who have the time to spend months developing a motor to its max potential before it goes into production.
      http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
      1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
      In stock untouched contion.
      http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
      1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
      Mikes XS coils
      Jardine 4-1
      Pod filters
      Harley Davidson Rear Fender
      Bullet signal lights
      Twin 75mm headlights
      Self made single seat

Comment

But what do I know, Im a mechanic by trade, have built motors to the Factory spec for years without having them detonate. but I would never ever presume that I know better than a labratory of paid engineers who have the time to spend months developing a motor to its max potential before it goes into production.
        I do NOT know as much as the Yamaha engineers. After all, they did the head work on the Aluminum Corvette engine, as well as a few other engines. I'm just trying to give it SOME of the power they used to get from this engine in the late '70s. The drag bikes would pull over 300HP, and run all season with a stock bottom end. I plan on under 1/2 that HP, about 125 RWH, so I DON'T scatter anything. That is the reason I'm going slow, and I'll make changes a little at a time once the engine is running.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by subike View Post
          I dont want to sound a critic,
          But Yamaha spent a **** load of time and money designing and developing this motor.
          They are known to have some of the best cylinderhead engineers in the business, why do you think yamaha heads appear on so many other manufacturers engines?
          The XS1100 motor was design of prfection from the start, sure you can scrape another few ponies out of them, but the guys who designed and built them in the first place were building a world beater from the start,
          I believe that the XS1100 motor can be made to run better than stock, can be made to run smoother can be make to tear your arms off with that seat of the pants riding. Just blue print it. simple.
          Well......the factory engineers did a good job of building a 'world beater' 35 years ago. That design was completely compromised from the start though. Since it was designed for production bikes they had little insignificant things like reliability....warranties...ease of service and the need to build a bike with enough power to make it sell...but tame enough that people don't immediately jump on the bike and kill themselves.
          I mean....I don't know anything either. I've just been building HIGH n a hp for years with antiquated engines for about 20 years.
          My brand of preference has been pontiac engines....the last of which rolled of the assembly line in 81.
          I mean hey, anyone can build 450-500hp na with factory cast iron heads!!! Shoot nobody told me me that pontiac engineer and engine developmentcant be improved on....fortunately I have u to correct me
          So yeah, I guess I should just not build an improved engine because you tell me that I can't.
          Duh....okay
          Last edited by Mr. Schweer; 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Oh, and I guess nobody told Bob Jones he shouldn't bother trying to improve on that 35 year old tech either!!!

Comment

Ya know.. people can come on here and make statements all they want. It's a free forum. Subike simply stated an opinion without attacking you or your intellegence (Or any statements to the lack there-of) in any way.. and instead of simply saying you have 20 years experience.. blah blah.. you feel the need to be sarcastic and belittle others. That chit is getting really old.

If you want to have people respond only to the topics you want to hear, then I suggest you take all your talking to the PM option. If it's posted in this public forum, any and all are free to post. Like it or not, it may go off topic about some blue moon or something.... Doesn't matter though.. you don't own a thing on here. You're welcome to try to get things back on topic..in a nice way... but you simply seem to want people to post what you want to hear. Anything else and the crap starts again since you think people are pissing on your parade again.

Get used to it.. because we'll all be here a long time after you're gone. Though I fear if you keep this up, there'll be nobody here to help you... which really shouldn't bother you since you have everything figured out anyway.

Good luck with your project, because I'm through.

Tod
              Last edited by trbig; 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                I do NOT know as much as the Yamaha engineers. After all, they did the head work on the Aluminum Corvette engine, as well as a few other engines. I'm just trying to give it SOME of the power they used to get from this engine in the late '70s. The drag bikes would pull over 300HP, and run all season with a stock bottom end. I plan on under 1/2 that HP, about 125 RWH, so I DON'T scatter anything. That is the reason I'm going slow, and I'll make changes a little at a time once the engine is running.
                The vette motor was the ZR-1. That was just a 32 valve, muti-port marvel.......and the SHO TAURUS was just a wayyyyyy over powered family sedan. Someone should've mentioned to the engineers that they peaked back in 76 when they made the 1100.....

Comment

Working...
                X