No announcement yet.

Anyone build an 1100????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiz....I will get some pics up monday when I get back in my office. I need to take some new ones anyhow since I've made some more changes. By changes, I mean getting it back closer to stock.
    When I bought it, it had a massive K/Q seat, missing sissy bar, missing kickstarter and missing k.s. drive cover. It also was at one time a bagger I believe because the rear turn sigs were relocated to the stop light housing.
    I've since gotten several things back to stock, made a few improvements but still need to square up just a couple more things to call it done. I'll go into more detail in a new thread with pics next week.
    '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

Comment

Pete.....any other engine mods? If not, it sounds like opening the ports without doing any cam work really pushes the p.b.way up there.
      I need to look at the stock cam specs and see where the changes in the profile need to be. Without anything in front of me, I would surmise that leaving the cam profile alone and advancing them would move the pb down to a safer/more street friendly rpm. Maybe a little more exhaust lift and duration? For sure bringing the cr up somewhere closer to 11:1 would REALLY take advantage of those hogged out ports. I think those mods and stiffer springs would definitely build the kind of power I'm looking for!
      Of course improved ignition would be needed. What kind of mj's do mikes coils put out I wonder?
      Anyway, good on ya pete....keep it up and you could be my new best pal!!!

Comment

Check out posts by member Just Jeff, and his "Molly". That bike reportedly will take an R1 from 30 to 130MPH. Jeff really knows his stuff, too.
        Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just re-checked, "Molly" is a turbo 1196 which dyno'd to 211 WHP, according to Jeff's signature.
          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

here you go Wiz...pics finally

Last edited by Mr. Schweer; 07-22-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Alrighty, then !!! Good lookin' SF ...

there, Mr. Schweer. Nothin like the look (and sound)of a Kerker, eh? The more I look at our bikes with the black pipes on 'em, the better I like 'em. My Kerker is all chrome, AND, lookin' at the 'upsweep' before the resonator, I'm wonderin' if saddlebags will even fit??? Hmmmm .... need my bags so I can fill 'em up with beer and ice for cruising, know what I'm sayin' . NO ... just kiddin' ... used to do that with my original one though ... 30 years later and I've probably learned a little, I hope Again, nice bike You know about the bike photos thread, right?
                80G Mini-bagger
                VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Yeah, I've been reading that thread the past week and a half and I'm almost at the end of the story!!!
                  Just kiddin', I just put a couple of pics up in that thread. Wish there were a few more....aged bikes on the page I posted on. Really makes me fired up to get it painted and looking as nice as some of the others. I just have a hard time intentionally causing myself to NOT be able to ride it at will!!
                  Even with an '09 Road King in my garage.....

Comment

what model did you say that bike in your pics was Mr. Schweer?
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                    1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                    In stock untouched contion.
                    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                    1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                    Mikes XS coils
                    Jardine 4-1
                    Pod filters
                    Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                    Bullet signal lights
                    Twin 75mm headlights
                    Self made single seat

Comment

Its a 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Schweer View Post
                        I really am not concerned with the handling capabilities of these frames or suspensions. I am looking to build some power. I am going to go straight. Handling doesn't really matter when I rip the throttle and tear down the road going straight.
                        You would be wise to reinforce the frame while the bike is apart. At high speed with the engines power on the bike can become somewhat light in the front end. Tank slappers are not uncommon even going straight. Fork brace and steering damper are a good idea. I reinforced my frame while my bike was stripped. The changes I made should help the bike handle like a smaller machine.
                        Rob
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Cody was able to get about 125+- RWHP with that bike

I thought that was too high, Ray. I seem to remember after all that work, that he was BARELY able to break the 100hp barrier. I know he pumped many thousands of dollars into that bike to get that.... much less than he sold it for. He had just about everything trick you could get, with dyno runs after everything to see what worked and what didn't. Knowing this and everything he went through, THAT is why I say that getting 150hp from these motors in pretty much a stock configuration is doubtful... even after the 1196cc bore and different carbs that he did.

Also, Ray, just remember that with the 1196 kit, you will be bumping your compression up... not a good thing with a turbo.

I was wrong. I was thinking Dan Hodges posted a pic of a 4 valve aftermarket head, but it's just a two valve setup. I am looking, but haven't found the actual info on the head yet. You can see a pic of it here though..

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=head&page=2

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                            You would be wise to reinforce the frame while the bike is apart. At high speed with the engines power on the bike can become somewhat light in the front end. Tank slappers are not uncommon even going straight. Fork brace and steering damper are a good idea. I reinforced my frame while my bike was stripped. The changes I made should help the bike handle like a smaller machine.
                            Rob
                            Yeah, I definately will be stiffening it up a bit. My SF feels....'squishy'....that's the best way to describe it! LOL It feels fine just cruising or taking turns smoothly, but yeah, it's a thirty year old bike rippin' around with 30 year old handling and it definately could use a little help.
                            I just wanted people to stop talking about things that weren't related to the topic of actually building a Yamaha 1100.
                            I am probably going to start a thread regarding handling too....that should be fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              I thought that was too high, Ray. I seem to remember after all that work, that he was BARELY able to break the 100hp barrier. I know he pumped many thousands of dollars into that bike to get that.... much less than he sold it for. He had just about everything trick you could get, with dyno runs after everything to see what worked and what didn't. Knowing this and everything he went through, THAT is why I say that getting 150hp from these motors in pretty much a stock configuration is doubtful... even after the 1196cc bore and different carbs that he did.

Also, Ray, just remember that with the 1196 kit, you will be bumping your compression up... not a good thing with a turbo.

I was wrong. I was thinking Dan Hodges posted a pic of a 4 valve aftermarket head, but it's just a two valve setup. I am looking, but haven't found the actual info on the head yet. You can see a pic of it here though..

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=head&page=2

Tod
                              Tod, this was the kind of info I was looking for. You know, firsthand experience. If it's really not feasable to get power, I'd like to know before throwing money away. I'm surprized that an engine that is so simple and 'clean' in design isn't easy to build power with. That's why I wanted info on head porting and cams.
                              That's where the power is......or isn't if done poorly. Adding cubes....er CC's, then cam design to work with the displacement and desired powerband, then head work to achieve airflow requirements of the cam, then properly tuned carbs to fill the cylinder with the right mixture, then a hot ignition with proper timing and finally high flow exhaust to evacuate the spent gases.
                              Badda-Bing....more power. Simple recipe....or so I thought. Works on everything else I've built.
                              On second thought, I might just rebuild the engine to stock specs and inroduce it to my little blue friend!!!

Comment

I thought that was too high, Ray. I seem to remember after all that work, that he was BARELY able to break the 100hp barrier.
                                Sorry for the wrong information, CRS kicking in again!
                                I know Cody put a LOT into the engine, I just didn't know the exact results.
                                I plan on using the later head with the 1196 kit. That with the chambers "cc'ed" should drop me down to about 9.2:1 or so. If I need a little more, I'll add a copper base and head gasket. As I'm NOT using any kit, I'll be "tuning" the turbo for the engine myself. I will start at about 4 to 6 PSI of boost, and go from there.
                                Ray Matteis
                                KE6NHG
                                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                                X