No announcement yet.

Anyone build an 1100????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correction.......three posters that have done engine mods.
    Anybody have flow numbers or dyno numbers with the mods??
    '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

Comment

Did you ever stop to think your poor experience on the corvette forum was due to your bad attitude. Maybe next time you should start your post with "I already know everything there is to know about engines, so please only reply if you have actual first hand experience with my exact topic on this motor." We all have no idea of your level of knowledge so you're going to get responses giving you possibly useful information, maybe you already know, but maybe you don't. We're all here trying to be helpful, no need to get all upset because people are explaining things you already know or have an opinion different then your own. I'm sure you know there are a lot of different ways to get power from a motor not just your way.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Oddly enough, I explained my attitude, noted that I wasn't trying to come off as a dick or rude and stated that I indeed am trying to gain knowledge, preferably firsthand and I still get opinions on anything but what the topic WAS. Sorry for offending anyone. I'm a terrible person. Everyone please forgive me.

Comment

I will just do searches as previously suggested.

Comment

Just to be different, I'd like to know what you find in your porting. I am building an engine for a Turbo, with a 150 RWHP goal. I AM using the "new" head, and the 1196 kit for the pistons. I was going to just clean up the ports LIGHTLY so I don't ruin the flow in and out. As I plan on doing some curves( Pacific Coast Highway) I will be trying to stiffen the frame a little.
            I am NO expert on building engines, but I do have a little book knowledge and experience with small bike engines. The reason for the Turbo is reading and watching others try to get the most from their bikes. One bike, Zilla, comes to mind. It's no longer around here, but I think the dyno runs may be. Cody was able to get about 125+- RWHP with that bike, after a LOT of time on a Dyno and much work buy an expert.
            Welcome to the site.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Good info. What happened the fellow and his bike? 125whp is what I'm going for figuring 150chp with a factor of 85. What was his static cr? I don't think it'll be to hard too hard to build decent power n/a based on the overall design. I think the engineers did a great job making a powerful yet mild mannered engine within the confines of durability and reliability. I'm betting that with a better flowing head, more comp, bigger pistons and better spark with careful jetting I should be able to meet my goal for around a grand.

Comment

Cody sold the bike to someone on the east coast. He lives in OK, and had the work done at a shop in his town. He now spends a LOT more time on a Connie(Kawasaki). I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know the bike spent a LOT of time on the Dyno. He was trying different exhaust systems, carbs, cam timing, etc. The bike DID run well. I do remember a little mishap in the tunnel north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Some poor sucker on a 102" HD thought he had a "bad" bike, and was trying to break into our ride to prove it. I missed most of the fun, as I was trying to lead the group, but when Zilla came screaming up the HD was about 25' behind and falling FAST.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Wow......sounds like a blast!!!! We've got some cool areas to ride around here with yosemite and the sequoia forest about an hour from here but none of them have an ocean view!

Comment

Hey there,
                    I did this the other week and stuck it on the other day,
                    i started another thread, but didnt get much of a response.
                    heres a pic,

Took a weekend to do, using a tungsten carbide bit and small sanding drums
                    on a dremel.

Its got a bit of a vibration around 2-3000, and a slight buzz at 5000 only
                    noticeable thru the mirrors, its running rich at off idle under acceleration,
                    but other than that im more happy with it now than when i first put it on, still need to tweek
                    it further.
                    Last edited by petejw; 07-17-2009, 12:12 AM.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

16 valve head?

Hey Tod,
                      Do you have any info on that racing head that's available?I tried a search and didn't find anything.
                      Thanks Terry
                      1980 special (Phyllis)
                      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Pete nice work. Do you think the vibration is from the port work or maybe something with reassembly?
                        How's the over all acceleration? Is there a drop off in power at all? Has the usable powerband moved up or down? How's the low end power? Where's the power start? Any other engine mods? I'm all ears!!!

Comment

informative:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=dan+hodges

and

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...highlight=1311
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi, Mr. Schweer ..

You've got the racers all fired up now, don't ya?
                            HAVE a beautiful almost perfect essentially stock '79 XS11 special for zipping around
                            How 'bout gracing this supercharged thread with a photo of this machine, please, sir?
                            80G Mini-bagger
                            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Hey Mr Schweer,

I havent had the head on for long and am still tweeking it,

I think the vibration was caused by the porting, synching the carbs made it a lot better but its still there, i had this head fitted to another engine before it siezed, it had the base machined lightly and the valves had just been adjusted 3 intakes were tight, with pod filters, dyno jet carb parts fitted and a 4-1 exhaust, the bike screamed from off idle to redline and the plugs were the perfect colour, unfortunately i only used the bike a cpl of days before i siezed the engine bearings.

This same head fitted on another engine now fitted to the bike, with the ports opened up, same set up, doesnt go as well thru the rev range, but pulls harder at 6000 and seems to pull harder again at 7000rpm.

Im running rich at off idle under hard acceleraion (wasnt with the other set up) and this engine is burning oil pretty bad, had been sitting for a few years.
                              Ive goty compression of 155psi throu out.

I think with heavy duty valve springs tho the bike would pull easily past redline safely.

If i was to do it again I dont think id open the ports up quite so much, and leave a larger lip around the gasket area.

This was a spare head i had and thought id give it a go, didnt cost anything but time.

Let us kno how you go and if you have any thoughts on what i did or what i could do to improve it id like to hear it.
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Ive been out on it today and mucked around with
                                the main jets and slide springs, I cut off 6 coils about 3/4"
                                this improved throttle response, the more i muck around with it,
                                the better its getting.

Ive still got the buzz from off idle to 3500rpm this is felt thru the seat
                                and pegs, (tho the g/f not complaining) another slight buzz at 5000rpm which can be seen thru the left side mirror.

By cutting the slide springs ive improved throttle response and the mains seem
                                to kick in earlier around 5000rpm, theres another kick at 6000 and another one at 7000rpm, a cpl of times in 3rd i accidently revved it passed 9000rpm.
                                pete

new owner of
                                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                                zrx carbs
                                18mm float height
                                145 main jets
                                38 pilots

Comment

Working...
                                X