vacuum ignition advance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuum ignition advance issues

I was having an issue with my bike (80'sg), and I think i've narrowed it down to the pick up. The bike starts up without a problem now but what is going on is its missing throughout the rpm range. she will run fine for a moment then "boggs down" where there is no response in throttle. After I pull in the clutch, it seems to clear up and ususally ends in two decent backfires (sounds like one each side). I'm thinking now after process of elimination, it might be the advanced. I've read on a previous thread that I should move the vacuum line to the #2 carb from the intake boot and I will do that.

all in all before I go on a further tanget is this. the wires on my ignition advance are quite old and I've tried to solder in some patch pieces but it keeps breaking right behind the joint. is there a way to rewire the and take out the old wire completely without removing the timing plate?
    1980 XS1100 midnight special (daily rider)
    1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "rat-rod bobber" project)
    1992 Suzuki GS500E (GF's project)

If the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, then only left handed people are in their right mind.

If you are referring to the pick up coil wires, have a look at this thread.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22680
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      If you are referring to the pick up coil wires, have a look at this thread.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22680

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about but the problem is that when I solder new wire in, the old wire still breaks apart. The old wire itself looks like brown hair and seems to fall apart. I don't think it is suppose to look like that is it? I did this DIY but there were so many internal splits, I don't have much original wire left.

If the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, then only left handed people are in their right mind.

Comment

Yep, that was why Dbeardslee took it all the way out fo the case to splice in. Or are you saying oyu have almost nothing attached to the coils now? Not sure how to get new wire at the coils.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

The brown colored wire is because there was a break in the insulation at some point and water wicked its self into the wire.

The bad news is that capillary action will pull water into wire up to and beyond a foot if it isn't taken care of. If your bike has been this way for some time, it may well have destroyed most of the wire.

If you are able to get to clean wire, be sure to use high quality heatshrink. You can get 'weatherproof" heatshring that has some high melting point wax on the inside or some type of sealant that will seal the water out.

The good news is that it sounds like you have found your trouble and won't spend much time scratching your head.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Well after looking at it again I found another break just inside the rubber shroud, right at the pick-up. After some careful solder work and heatshrinking, I seem to have it back together. the bad thing is that there is only a half inch of original wire and it is encased in solder. I don't know what I'm going to do if it breaks again. I might just have to replace the whole assembly.... oh well I only get to ride it between something eles breaking anyways.

Comment

Just replace the wire from the coils to a point in the harness about a foot away. You WILL have to pull everything, but it will be fixed if you can find the fine wire needed to flex. I use the wire from Radio Shack designed for test leads.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X