Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reserve Lighting Device removal didn't work??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Lighting Device removal didn't work??

I removed the Reserve Lighting Device on my hop-up bike because it appeared to be having an undesirable effect on my HID headlight. With the device in place I had a high beam but only a 1/2 low beam but it was on. With the device removed as per the instructions, I now have no low beam but do have high beam.
    Any ideas on this?
    Anyone else with HID headlight have similar issue during their hook up?

Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

hey, check my thread here I have a big old fancy aftermarket headlight, a previous mechanic spliced from the green wire to a keyed wire to make it work. I'm fixing it correctly. Your problem sounds real similar to mine.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Mine works fine. I had to remove the RLU and do the bypass in the tech section, but have had no problems with hi/lo beam.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
        Mine works fine. I had to remove the RLU and do the bypass in the tech section, but have had no problems with hi/lo beam.
        Are you running HID headlight?
        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
          hey, check my thread here I have a big old fancy aftermarket headlight, a previous mechanic spliced from the green wire to a keyed wire to make it work. I'm fixing it correctly. Your problem sounds real similar to mine.
          This wiring harness was working fine when it was on my restored bike so I don't have reason to think that this is the same sort of issue. When you had this issue was it just your low beam or the complete headlight?
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

"Are you running HID headlight?"

Yes.

When I first put the HID in, I still hd the RLU unit as well. It worked but it took forever (several seconds) to shift from hi to lo beam or vice versa. I took out the RLU and jumpered the wires indicate in the RLU bypass procedure and it now changes beam properly.

My only issue is that the headlight will cut out from time to time, or sometimes it doesn't come on when I turn the key on. The only way to get it to come on, in these situations is to turn the key off then on.

My headlight relay is also hooped, though, as the headlight comes on, usually, as soon as I turn the key on, even though the relay is still in place.

'05 ST1300

Comment

"Are you running HID headlight?"

Yes.

When I first put the HID in, I still hd the RLU unit as well. It worked but it took forever (several seconds) to shift from hi to lo beam or vice versa. I took out the RLU and jumpered the wires indicate in the RLU bypass procedure and it now changes beam properly.

My only issue is that the headlight will cut out from time to time, or sometimes it doesn't come on when I turn the key on. The only way to get it to come on, in these situations is to turn the key off then on.

My headlight relay is also hooped, though, as the headlight comes on, usually, as soon as I turn the key on, even though the relay is still in place.
              What do you mean by "hooped" On my 78 model the headlight does not come on until the engine is running which is normal for this model. I also did the jump as per the instruction which are pretty simple. I did it bu cutting the lead off the RLV and jumped the wires accordingly on the RLV side of the plug so I would not be changing the main harness. Doing it way should have no effect on how the bypass works. I now must wonder if the low beam of the HID lighting is simply not working but have no reason to think it would not. Does anyone know how can I test the low beam of the HID light without damaging it.

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

"as the headlight comes on, usually, as soon as I turn the key on"

It's hooped because the headlight comes on with the key, not the motor.

With an HID there is no high and low beam. There is only one bulb. The way it does high/low beam is by the use of a solonoid that moves the bulb in and out of a cover to effectively dim for low beam use.

I don't know what you mean by '1/2 low beam', etc. The HID bulb is either on or off.

'05 ST1300

Comment

"as the headlight comes on, usually, as soon as I turn the key on"

It's hooped because the headlight comes on with the key, not the motor.

With an HID there is no high and low beam. There is only one bulb. The way it does high/low beam is by the use of a solonoid that moves the bulb in and out of a cover to effectively dim for low beam use.

I don't know what you mean by '1/2 low beam', etc. The HID bulb is either on or off.
                  OK so you have changed the wiring so the headlight is on with the main switch. My HID has no moving parts. Both are in the bulb which does not move within the reflector.
                  This is the unit I have

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EFX-H...Q5fAccessories

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I didn't change the wiring at all. My relay is stuck 'on'. I had a different relay in there but it wouldn't come on at all. So I found one that at least gave me headlight, until I can find a good relay.

If your HID has no moving parts, but has 2 bulbs, then you got the wrong HID. You got a low beam with quartz driving light. Look in your Instructions it will tell you.

Derwat got a similar unit. It's a low beam HID with a halogen 'daytime driving light' Low beam is useless, but 'high' beam is HID. All the low beam does is light up your reflector to keep the cops off you in areas where DTLs are mandatory.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Instruction say HID bulbs. I will have to check how I have it hooked up. I may have hooked it up as per the "H4 low beam" type as compared to the "H4Hi/Lo type". It has a relay as per this instruction but i don't remember running lines directly to the battery. I will post as to what's up with this kit.
                      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Low or Hi/Lo

I just disconnected all the leads for the HID headlight and have an email sent off to them for input.

Question - Does anyone know which type of H4 setup the XS1100 uses?
                        Is it the H4 low beam type or the H4 Hi/Lo type.
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

The xs uses the h4 hi/low (Bi-Xenon?) type bulb. This type comes with a single HID bulb, with a solonoid to switch beams.

Topcat has a picture of it in this thread. Sorry I don't know how to link the picture directly.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=hid

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                            What do you mean by "hooped" Rob
                            Hi Rob,
                            "hooped" is a Canadian euphemism for "f**ked" We can safely assume that it's irretrievably broken. Like, you know, FUBAR?
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Bi-xenon h4

Hi ! I put on a 35w h4 bi xenon on my SG one year ago,it worked nice and the light was far better then with the regular h4 bulb.(I did put it one first without doing the rlu job,but the changing hi/low took seconds,and the headlight fail lamp lighted up-so I found the thread about the rlu job-and it worked great) But as I am living in a country (norway) with a lot of tunnels (many of them without any lights at all!),and a lot of dark months - I decided to put on an even better light: bi-xenon h4 55w! And YES !!! This was the correct thing to do-atleast for me:great lights! I bought a car set,so I will have one bulb and one ballast in spare.If you change from 35w to 55w you will also have to ghange the wiringset because the plugs are different .My set is like this: ebay item: 190320805348

Have a nice summer all of you !
                              TERJE

`79SF
                              `80SG x 2
                              `80LG x 2
                              `81SH
                              `82XJ1100J
                              `83CB1000 CUSTOM
                              `79WIFE

Comment

Working...
                              X