Carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb rebuild

Recently I got a 79 special on the cheap that had been sitting for almost 6 years. As you all can imagine the catbs need to be cleaned and rebuilt. As part of the rebuild I was going to eliminate the airbox and go with pod filters.

The issue is on the special there are two lines running into the airbox from the carbs that seem to have little metal rods attached to the end. When going to the pod filters what do you do with these. Also, this whole octy thing, never seen that before and it seems to look overely complicated. Is there a way that it can be eliminated.

Petcocks need to be rebuilt so I may switch to a more traditional petcock (on, off, reserve). Thanks

Sanders
    Sanders

03 RE Bullet 500 POS
    02 Suzuki Bandit 1200N
    06 Yamaha Warrior
    02 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    01 Buell Thunderbolt
    77 Yamaha XS750
    79 Yamaha XS1100 Special

I believe you are talking about the bowl vent lines. Not sure about the rods you are talking about, I just have two rubber lines that attach to the nipples on the side and the case vent plugs on the larger middle nipple of the airbox.

If you switch to pods, you still needs these vents operational. I would reroute them and put a filter on them to keep crap out. Of course you'll have to screw with your jets also.

I would recommend upgrading the coils and get some new wires and caps. Clean and grease all your electrical connections very well, make sure the fuseblock is good or replace it. If you can afford it, get a new rectifier/regulator from Oregon Motorcycle parts, I haven't splurged yet myself-soon though!

Go through the brakes and make sure they are working great also as you will need them
    Good luck, have fun and post some pictures!
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide
    Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

The octy can be eliminated. It is the vacuum safety stop for the fuel flow, just in case your float needles leak, so if you remove it, it helps if you remember to turn off your petcocks when you dismount. No need to swap out the petcocks though. You can rebuild them with a kit from ebay.

When switching to pods, you'll probably need to play with the jets in the carbs, so be repared for that. Plenty of other threads with info on that adventure. Might also think about creating velocity stacks for the pods too.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
      X