Choke lever breaking off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke lever breaking off

I just discovered that my choke lever handle is just about to fall off. In researching for a replacement, I have discovered a few things that I need clarification on.

1. My lever is NOT black. However, as is mentioned in another thread, as well as the image from benefiscal (below), the lever on the MNS is supposed to be black. Is that true?

2. The image above shows the replacement part is straight. Mine (below) is bent over. Is it supposed to be bent? Is that just something you are supposed to do after installation, or is it supposed to remain straight? Mine is breaking right at the bend, so I am concerned about the proper installation of whatever part I manage to find to replace this one.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

S'posed to be ...

straight ... not bent 90 degrees like the photo.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Hi 'Bug,
      black is available everywhere inside rattlecans.
      And no, yours should be straight up. Seems like some genius bent yours over by pounding it over in a vise and the sharp 90º bend is starting to fail.
      You can mend it. Remove the lever, pull the plastic knob off and re-weld the 90º bend if you like it like that or pound the lever flat again (the bend will most likely break completely if you do) and re-weld the two pieces back in the original position. Fizz it black, slide the knob back on and you have what will pass for a NOS Midnight Special lever.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Bug,

This is one of the few underengineered parts on the XS11! They get bent because folks would not keep the choke lever/rod properly lubed, and they get corroded and stiff, stick, and harder to pull out, hence the bending of the lever/handle! Other suggestions have been to take the choke rod, tap some threads on the end of it, and then attach a drawer pull knob or such onto the end.

I fabricated a replacement out of an outdoor door hinge! But if you have welding capabilties, then that would be an easy fix, and the black paint along with a grinder will hide the cosmetic imperfections!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Another option, as TC mentioned....

2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            ....the lever on the MNS is supposed to be black. Is that true?
            Yep, the choke lever on both models of Midnight (LG & LH) is black.

The good news is that these are shown as still available from CMS - a Yamaha parts dealer in the Netherlands. They have an odd parts numbering format so use part number 4H31497500

You can link there from the part details page you got the picture from (just scroll down to the section "Possible Suppliers").
            Last edited by Lamric; 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM.
            Brian
            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

yep

yes, they are notoriously junk. mine is also broke. just learned to deal with it. someday maybe i'll get a new one.
              testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Originally posted by Lamric View Post
                Yep, the choke lever on both models of Midnight (LG & LH) is black.

The good news is that these are shown as still available from CMS - a Yamaha parts dealer in the Netherlands. They have an odd parts numbering format so use part number 4H31497500

You can link there from the part details page you got the picture from (just scroll down to the section "Possible Suppliers").
                Thanks! They are asking $37.63 (27 euros). I may get one eventually, but I'll probably get mine welded for now.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Well, I found a choke lever at my local bike junkyard, and literally got attacked by the junkyard dog in the process! I'm glad I had my armoured riding jacket on, because the dog went straight for my arm as soon as I stepped behind the counter to follow the guy back to the only XS they had.

They have a '79 std, and it's a bit torn apart, but it still has the carbs on it. The choke lever was even there too! It looks a bit different from the one on my '81 MNS, but it fits!

For $15, I figured it was worth it. It started out a bit rusty:

And after 20 minutes of soaking in rust remover, here is what it looks like now:

I'll probably hit it with rust remover one more time, just to shine it up a bit more. My choke is a bit stiff (the reason the lever started to break in the first place) so I might take some time this weekend and try to clean that out. I might also try to get my current choke lever welded, but then again, maybe I won't...
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Good score at the boneyard ...

and good idea to lube up that enrichener rod. I've seen a bunch of racks of carbs with 'em broken off and missing altogether.

Send it up to Rob, and he can weld in some gussets on there to stiffen it up some .... and then maybe chrome or powder coat it !! Just kiddin' ... would be cool though.
                    80G Mini-bagger
                    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Mine broke as well on the XS11SF. I pulled it off and welded it back together, ground it down, shot it with a coat of silver paint. Works just fine.
                      Richard

Comment

Working...
                      X