LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Fyi

I've just ordered a set of stock type coils from www.wemoto.com .It should come out to about $91.98 USD. I'll let you guys know how I make out.
      I seen this website posted in an exaust thread here last week. They seem to have a good selection of parts and thought I'd give them a try.

Have a good weekend,
      LuckyEddie
      1982 XV750J Virago
      1976 GL1000
      1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Ok, Eddie ... but ...

I'm a bit confuddled ... did you order the PU (magnetic pick up) coils under the timing disc or did you order ignition (attached to the spk. plugs) coils? Just curious and I can't tell by the link and I don't want to get ya' in trouble.
        80G Mini-bagger
        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

My use of the english language is sometimes inexcusable. Sorry.
          The ignition coils did not test out good at all. It is a wonder that the motor ran at all.
          I ordered Ignition Coils (that go to the spark plugs).
          I should have known better, I have replaced coils and wires on all my other bikes too.
          LuckyEddie
          1982 XV750J Virago
          1976 GL1000
          1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Lucky - Chances are pretty good that the coils are OK but the high tension wires are shot. I just redid a set of 81 coils last week that tested over 90k ohms secondary resistance, but the primary resistance was fine (3 ohms). I grafted some new wires in and retested and they were back within service limits. The 81's have one wire that travels the length of the coil housing to a pin. The other wire runs about a third of the way down the housing and is soldered to a small copper wire. That one's kind of a PITA, but with an 80 your coils probably have both wires running the length of the coil. On the long ones I did I just removed the high tension wire sheaths, grabbed the wire and twisted it until it came clear of the housing. I took a dremel tool and cut into the housing where the wire travels and cut a hole maybe 1" by 3/4" close to where the pin is. I put a little WD40 on the new wires and slid them into the hole and twisted them onto the pins. I wiped off the WD with some acetone on a rag, RTVed them and let it cure overnight. The next morning I put some duct tape over the repairs and secured the wires with zip ties. It's a pretty easy fix if you've got a dremel tool, and there's a tech tip under 'Repairs' with some good pics. If you've got the 81 style coils you need a soldering iron as well. Might give you something to do while you're waiting for the new ones. Besides, it never hurts to have a spare set of coils sitting around. You never know when you might need them .
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

dbeardslee,

I concidered doing the wire fix but feel better about having as new as possible components due to the fact that I have been known to hop on a bike and ride til the daylight is gone. My record is 820 miles in 16 hours. Then do a group ride of a couple hundred miles the next day and the day after that ride back home the way that I came.
              LuckyEddie
              1982 XV750J Virago
              1976 GL1000
              1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Yup, Eddie, your English is fine and Don is right ...

regarding the ign. coils.

checked the PU coil wires with an Ohm meter?
                My original suggestion was that you check the wires leading to the magetic pick-up coils under the timing disc, if you haven't already done that.

To do this check, unplug the smaller plug from the TCI and test the resistance between the W/r and the W/g. Should be roughly 720 ohms +or- 5%. Repeat the process for the Y/r and the Y/g pair. These pairs of wires are attached to the PU coils. The signal from these coils triggers the TCI to fire the ignition coils. Sorry if I confused you.

Several members have excellent write-ups in the TECH TIPS on how to diagnose and fix this problem.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
                80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

thewiz,

I did not check the PU coils. I will.
                  I sometimes read too fast and not all of it soaks into my head. Thanks for your attention to detail.
                  LuckyEddie
                  1982 XV750J Virago
                  1976 GL1000
                  1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Not to worry, Eddie ..

sometimes read too fast and not all of it soaks into my head
                    Most of us here have probably done that very same thing on occasion.... or at least I certainly have anyway . I'm pretty sure that the problems with your bike will work themselves out here at Channel 11. These guys are good.
                    80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

thewiz,

I checked the PU coils this weekend and they are fine. It looks as though I may have found the problem by checking the wrong parts (ignition coils). Someone up there is looking out for me.
                      LuckyEddie
                      1982 XV750J Virago
                      1976 GL1000
                      1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Solved!!!!!

Greetings,

This past Saturday I finaly found my problem. The bracket on the end of the #3 carb butterfly shaft that hooks to #4 was loose on the shaft. I pulled it out peened it over to tighten it up and every thing is golden.
                        The carbs would not remain in synch because every time I would move the throttle 3&4 would open just a hair before 1&2. It would run, but it ran like crap.
                        Yeah, I know it took me long enough to nail it down. The riding season is now pretty much shot. Now I look very much forward to spring!!!
                        Thanks for all your help. Add this to the knowlage base.
                        LuckyEddie
                        1982 XV750J Virago
                        1976 GL1000
                        1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

I bet you just got a few other people thinking!

I've never heard of this, another one for the books.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                          X