Two Carb Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Carb Issues

1. I recieved some pilot jets from Mikes XS They have holes in the sides, what I am replacing does not. Should I solder the holes in the sides if the new Pilot jets closed?

2. I beleive that 2 of my carb diaphrams are bad. With the bike running at idle, I put my finger over the kidney shaped inlet port and on Cylinders 1 and 2 I could feel a slight pulsing, Cylinders 3 and 4 I feel nothing. When I rev it up 3 & 4 appear to be operating properly and 1 & 2 are sluggish and do not remain raised as much as 3 & 4. Also, at idle they synch up perfect but upon raised RPM 3 & 4 stay down and 1 & 2 go up on the Carb Tune.
    I'm thinking that I will hit the diaphrams with the Plasti Dip Spray tonight.
    Are my diagnosis and solution correct?

Thanks in advance for your input,
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Lucky - On the pilot jets DO NOT apply solder. The configuration of the holes may be different, but the flow is what's important. Assuming you ordered the right size, they should be fine.

On your diaphrams, you can check them by removing them and taking them to a dark place with a flashlight. Hold the flashlight up to the diaphrams and see if you see any pinholes in the diaphrams. I'm not sure plastidip would be the thing to use for a repair - Ken Talbot recommended Napa's spray rubber coating. Could be the same as plastidip, but why tempt fate?
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

You can also check them by lifting the slides up with your finger and then putting your finger over the kidney shaped hole to block the air.

The slides should stay up or come down very slowly. If they drop like a rock, then you have holes.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Thank you very much for the tips and / or guidance.
        If all goes well I should have a little riding time tommorow before the rain gets here. Have a great weekend guys!
        LuckyEddie
        1982 XV750J Virago
        1976 GL1000
        1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

If I'm not mistaken

The pilot jets in all XS11 carbs should have the emulsion holes in them. The size should be 42.5 for all 11's also.
          You may have had the wrong pilots in there to begin with.
          A while ago, Wildkat had bought some pilots for her FJ11. The ones she got had the holes in the side, but the OEM jets didn't. The guy that sold them to her said they were a direct replacement. Needless to say the bike idled like crap, and low RPM performance sucked! She bought some more pilots, from a different source, with the holes and the idle is good as is the low RPM performance.

Comment

Hey John,

His bike is the 81MNS, and it's very close to the XJ's, and I remember some folks reporting on their Stock XJ's pilot jets that they did NOT have the aeration holes in them, and that they are designed different. If Eddie will look at the diagrams on MikesXS site about the difference in the pilot jets, he'll see examples of the non holed ones and the location of the metering hole within the jet, vs. the holed ones and a different location for the metering hole within the jet. Then he'll need to look at his STOCK jets more closely, to see if he can see the difference in the location of the metering hole in the jet. He may need to order the other styled pilot jets without the holes!?

I haven't looked at the microfiche listings and part #'s for the pilot jets for the 81MNS and the XJ to compare them with the other XS's.....YET!
            T.C.

DOH, he has an 80MNS, not 81, but no matter, the 81 also used regular XS styled pilot jets, but I was right with the XJ using a different style pilot jet. ??Perhaps he either got a different set of carbs, or perhaps a PO put in the wrong type??

XJ Pilot Jet: 4G0-14142-47-00 (#47.5)

80 and 81 MNS: 256-14142-42-A0 JET, PILOT (#42.5)
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Greetings,

I have returned to the stock jetting for now. I have had an issue with synching the carbs in that I can get them to line up just fine at idle, but when rpm is increased #3 & 4 stay down. I have ordered and am waiting for delivery of 4 new carb holders. The photo of the new carb holders show paper gaskets with the set. When my old ones were removed, there were none, Just squashed, crusty, but solid o-rings. Should there have been paper gaskets also?

Thanks,
              LuckyEddie
              1982 XV750J Virago
              1976 GL1000
              1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

I didn't use any gasket or sealer. I let the rubber rib do it's job, and it does. Some on here use a gasket w/sealer on both sides. (leakaphobia) They came from the factory with out any gasket or sealer.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Lucky - Stock there were no gaskets on the carb hangers, but the aftermarket hangers come with them. I recently bought a set from George Fix that came with the gaskets. I permatexed them with Ultra Copper on both sides of the gasket (a very thin coat) and they're working great. Look a lot better too.

Have you done a compression check on your motor? When you mentioned the inconsistent vacuum across your cylinders with the application of throttle my first thought was valve clearances. If your clearances have closed up it will make it run rough too. Do you know when the last time your clearances were set? Supposed to be checked every 6K, but it's one of those maintenance items a lot of owners neglect. JAT

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I replaced the pilots on my XJ a couple years ago. The ones that came in had the holes, but the stock ones didn't. I just replaced them all so they were all the same and didn't have a problem.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I did check valve clearances before I ever fired the motor. they were all within specs. I have not done a compression test yet. I've been busy wrenching on this bike and 3 of my other bikes to keep them on the road and inexcusably I have overlooked that detail. Thanks for the reminder.
                      LuckyEddie
                      1982 XV750J Virago
                      1976 GL1000
                      1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Yesterday the carb holders came and were installed. No difference in symptoms. The old ones were crap though.
                        I checked compression with a warm engine, WOT.
                        #1 - 160 #2 - 150 #3 - 135 #4 - 165.
                        Tonight I will check it cold and add a teaspoon of oil to #3 to see if it changes.

Synch done at idle - 3&4 remain down with raised rpm.

Synch done at 3500rpm - 3&4 remain up at idle.

All should remain the same through the rpm band.
                        Where should I start looking for gremlins?????

Thanks,
                        LuckyEddie
                        1982 XV750J Virago
                        1976 GL1000
                        1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Lucky -3500 rpm's is a bit fast for synching - should be done at idle (around 1k). On the compression test, readings should be within 10% of each other - #3 is outside of that limit, and #2 is just barely within limit. If it was mine I'd be rechecking the clearances. If they're still within spec your valves might need to be lapped. You could also be loosing compression past the rings, but I think the valves are more likely culprets. Another thing you might want to take a look at is the ignition side of things. I recently had a problem with Betsy where vacuum readings were jumping around all over the place. After setting the clearances, replacing carb boots, and no less than 15 trips into the carbs with no change I focused on the ignition. The problem turned out to be malfunctioning coils. Might not be a bad idea to run some tests with a DMM on your electrics. My $.02.

Comment

I wonder what the plugs ...

look like, especially in 2 and 3? As a couple of others have suggested, I think it's generally good to try to eliminate the ignition first before getting into the carbs.

BTW, have you checked the PU coil wires with an Ohm meter? If that 2/3 PU coil is failing intermittently causing a 'no fire', there may not even be enough vacuum developed to lift the slides.
                            80G Mini-bagger
                            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

As for synching at 3500 rpm, that is not how I do it normaly. It is kind of a search for cause and effect.
                              The plugs are black and sooty on 1&2 and a darker tan on 3&4.
                              I will check the electrical side for defects.

Thanks for the feedback,
                              LuckyEddie
                              1982 XV750J Virago
                              1976 GL1000
                              1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Working...
                              X