What tires do I use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tires do I use??

How many hairs just stood up on the back of most of your necks when you read this.. lol.

But seriously.. I read this in the manual...

Does that tire size for the front tire 3.50 H19-4PR mean a 4-ply radial or simply 4-ply RATING? Since the "R" is uniformely known in the tire world to stand for radial, would I be wrong in presumming this is what they meant? What about the obvious OMMISION of a "B" for bias tires?

We've all heard the theories about mixing radials and bias plies on a bike.. but we've also proven a lot of theories wrong on here. And what about both tires being radial? Does anyone have this experience with their bike.. and to what noticeable effect?

WARNING!!!

Please don't turn this into a discussion about a favored BRAND or MAKE of tire. I'm simply talking bias or radial type of any/all tires.

Tod
    Last edited by trbig; 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Interesting, I was always under the impression that Bias ply were recommended for these bikes. Not sure where I picked up that info, but that is what I thought.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I don't think radials were available for street use until '86 ,so i think it stands for rating
      Jim
      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
      and SOXS
      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

With tens of thousands of miles on both riding my XS and my Honda ST, wouldn't think radials would cause any issue with the XS. You would want to use same manufacturer and model of tire though. All radial designs of bike tires are NOT the same and WILL cause handleing issues if not the same front and rear. As far as bias ply, our XS's don't seem to mind mixing and matching as long as the tread is good. Radials I suspect would want to be run as mated on the XS's also. Advantages of radials I have noticed on my other bike being a bit less heat build-up, tracks on un-even surfaces perfect,(no wiggle) and a bit more even tire wear. Total mileage difference, little if any. That's just my personal experience.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I've never seen radials sold in the sizes these bikes use.
          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

What tires do I use??
            One's that hold air!!

What he said. 4 ply rating. Didn't think radials were avalible for xs's back then.
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Size does matter!

Hey Tod,

A search for "Radials" revealed several threads about this, here's one which confirms what Guy stated about how we can't get Radials that will fit our rims! http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=radials

Shall I close this thread now?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

3.50 H19-4PR
                This is a 3.50" by 19" "H" speed rated front tire. Because the bike is heavy, you could NOT use the 2 ply rating tires that are the same size, used on LIGHTER motorcycles. You needed to use a 4 Ply Rating tire for the replacement. As stated, these machines pre-date Radial tire technology for motorcycles.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

According to this site on tire markings and what they mean, that "R" even at the end but preceding the speed rating still means radial tire??

http://www.tire-information-world.co...-markings.html

I however, have never had a radial tire on my bike ether front or back or both so this is all I can offer.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

In the days before radials (BR)..."R" could not mean radial...key here is not "R", but "PR" "ply rating" (I'm guessing here..but it definately is about the load rating) but we know for a fact it can't mean Radial as there were none available for street bikes at that time.
                    Last edited by Guy_b_g; 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM.
                    Guy

'78E

Comment

Aha...found it..PR is indeed "ply rating" as you can see here: http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...re-School.aspx

Last edited by Guy_b_g; 06-23-2009, 09:02 PM.
                      Guy

'78E

Comment

Working...
                      X