vht paint for pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vht paint for pipes?

i've lost my patience on ever finding a set of black pipes for my mns and my 4 into 1 look like ****e, so i figure on gettin a chrome set of originals [4 into 2] sanding and painting with vht black paint. now i figure someone on this site has already done this, so i'm lookin for info on how it turned out. i'd really like to know which paint is best. any help appreciated
    redbone
    1980 mns 1100
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

What's wrong with the 4 to 1 that paint won't cover? VHT paint reeks to high heaven and will stink up your place AND the neighbors with the stench. Duplicolor doesn't do that.

BUT... neither option is going to give you good lasting results if you ride much. Paint just isn't tough enough. What I would suggest is a Jet Hot coated pipe or find someone who can powder coat them.. either of those are almost bullet-proof.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have the dupli-color vht ceramic paint. I used it on my rusty headers and with 3 days normal use it cured itself. It' still black, no cracks or chips in the paint. I've had it for about one year and six months i think... I will be painting the engine with it in a few days. Oh btw i like the flat black, but they also have it in the gloss black too.
      1978 XS1100E Standard
      Kerker Exhaust
      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
      TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Duplicolor

+1 on what Korr said.
        I did the flat black and it has been on there since the pipe chop. IT has rubbed off right right where my foot hits the pipe near the shifter. It's good stuff
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

The powder coating shop that did my frame last year can power coat with high heat ceramic based paint in any color and if silver is chosen they claim it can be buffed up to look very much like chrome. The other colors can also be buffed up to a high gloss finish.
          If chrome was what you really wanted that may be the way to go. If your going to paint them yourself as currently planned I would strongly recommend that you glass bead the pipes and make sure they are PERFECTLY clean for the best and long lasting results.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

If you care to blast your pipes (recommended) and have access to some common spray equipment then check these guys out. Their coatings work but like all coatings, it is in the preparation.

www.techlinecoatings.com
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Heat?

Does putting a coat of paint on the engine affect the heat transfer/cooling of the engine? My weird science logic says that adding another layer of material to the metal might cause a loss of heat transfer. Living in an area that sees 100+ degrees in the summer on a regular basis, this could be a concern. Seems like adding an extra jacket/coat/sweater to get cooler.
              Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
              1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
              1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Originally posted by Trainzz View Post
                Living in an area that sees 100+ degrees in the summer on a regular basis, this could be a concern. Seems like adding an extra jacket/coat/sweater to get cooler.
                It just gives you an excuse to ride FASTER!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

I used the Eastwood satin black header paint, they are holding up very well, no chipping, discolor or peeling. These guys have a ton of stuff for auto restoration. Always had good luck with all their products.

link
                  http://www.eastwood.com/satin-black-...p-coating.html
                  Dave
                  1978 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Trainzz View Post
                    Does putting a coat of paint on the engine affect the heat transfer/cooling of the engine?
                    Really depends on the kind of paint you use. Most high heat paints are fairly pourous and that will allow heat to expell easily whereas many ceramic paints are less pourous and will actually insulate the part. That is the advantage of using a cermaic coating on a header. It keeps the heat in the pipes making for a more robust exhaust flow (so the experts say). I would go with some sort of a ceramic coating on your header since an ordinary high heat paint probably will not stop rust from happening very long.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                    X