Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is gas supposed to be coming out of here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is gas supposed to be coming out of here?

Gas is coming out of the the holes that are being pointed to. dont know why it is...or how to fix it.
    the gas starts pouring out when i turn the petcock to on, not giving it any throttle or anything, just pours out lol.
    '79 XS1100SF

Have you taken the float bowls off? Sounds like the floats are not floating or the needle valves are not seating in their seats to shut off the fuel flow. Seems strange that it's happening in all 4 at the same time, but stranger things have happened.

Did you recently replace the float bowl gaskets? Sometimes they require a bit of trimming to allow them to clear the floats.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Looking closely at your photo, it appears that you have the fuel feeds running to BOTH the vent line tees and the fuel inlet tees. tsk...tsk...

Only the LOWER tees get the fule lines. The UPPER tees are for venting to the atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        Have you taken the float bowls off? Sounds like the floats are not floating or the needle valves are not seating in their seats to shut off the fuel flow. Seems strange that it's happening in all 4 at the same time, but stranger things have happened.

Did you recently replace the float bowl gaskets? Sometimes they require a bit of trimming to allow them to clear the floats.
        yup, took the bowls off when i was cleaning them. but i used the same gaskets, they didnt look too bad, and i was pretty sure that they cleared enough for the floats to float. i didnt try to take off floats or anything soooo....idk
        '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Originally posted by JC FC View Post
          Gas is coming out of the the holes that are being pointed to. dont know why it is...or how to fix it.
          the gas starts pouring out when i turn the petcock to on, not giving it any throttle or anything, just pours out lol.
          Hi JC,
          gas isn't supposed to pour or trickle or drip or even ooze out of anywhere.
          Most likely one or more of your floats are sunk or the float valves are leaking or have dirt in them. That lets the gas get too high in the carbs so that it will run out. And down the inlet tract past an open inlet valve and into the engine to dilute the oil. Best you check the oil for being too full, too thin and smelling of gas, too.
          Some say a quick rap on the carb with a screwdriver handle or such may dislodge whatever is causing it. That has never worked when I tried it but you may have better fortune. The only thing that worked for me was to remove, dismantle & clean the carbs.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            Looking closely at your photo, it appears that you have the fuel feeds running to BOTH the vent line tees and the fuel inlet tees. tsk...tsk...

Only the LOWER tees get the fule lines. The UPPER tees are for venting to the atmosphere.
            i had no idea!! could this be the problem?? lol
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

I'd stake my dime on it. You're pouring fuel in the vent and the bowl at the same time.
              Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
              '07 FJR1300

Comment

Good catch Randy! Yeah, the fuel should only be flowing into the lower connections. The upper connections do not get fuel. In my limited knowledge, I'm not sure if that would cause your problem, but it just might.

You say you didn't remove the floats? That tells me you didn't remove and check the needle valve/seat either. Did you pull the jets (main and pilot in each carb) to clean and inspect them? While you're at it, you might as well take the time to clean the rest of it too. All of these things should have been done when you opened them up. Even if you don't find anything, it's a precautionary measure to make sure you won't have to pull the carbs off again sooner than you'd planned. Be sure you check the little jet IN the float bowl itself. Come carb cleaner and a tiny wire threaded down in the hole, followed by a blast of compressed air should clear out any gunk that might be in there.
                Last edited by CatatonicBug; 06-10-2009, 10:13 AM.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Only the LOWER tees get the fuel lines. The UPPER tees are for venting to the atmosphere.
                  Hi Randy,
                  I missed that on the thumbnail then I read your post and clicked on the thumbnail to enlarge it and see the gas tees carefully siamesed to the vent tees. Yeah, that'll do it every time. Really neat connection job though.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

randy, omg man...i love you, in a strictly non homo way...haha that would be the reason!! not to hook everything up and see if she starts!! im excite!! haha
                    actually...all you guys...no idea what id do with out ya lol
                    Last edited by JC FC; 06-10-2009, 10:18 AM.
                    '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Did you put pods on or something?
                      XS1100SF
                      XS1100F

Comment

Just a note. Be sure you have the fuel leakage cured b/4 you ride the bike. I have a Yamaha Triple where the po didn't follow this rule. He had a major flame/burn - you just wouldn't believe the amount of flame this guy survived. The fule line, vacume line, petcock, side cover, tail light lense, and turnsignal lense on the left side were melted. Major rubber melted on the exhaust , and heavy road rash on the right crash bars, and wiped out turn signal front and rear pods and headlight mounting bracket. I don't know if he survived but I would bet he was hurt bad!

Deny
                        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

You might also want to check your engine
                          oil to make sure fuel didnt flow forward into the engine.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

yup, checked for leaks, didn't have it on the bike i was testing the carbs before i did cause i did an attempt to clean them, and wanted to check to make sure everything was good...and it wasn't cause i had fuel leaking out lol. so i shouldn't have any gas in the oil.

but they are on now, no problems...but i dont have spark...well not enough spark...i, gonna go get plugs as soon as the shop opens up
                            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
                            X