Cam Chain Adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Chain Adjuster

If anyone else has come up with this or heard about it, I haven't. As many of you know, Bohn Fraser had some problems with his adjuster that ended up with some bent valves. He took it to a mechanic that has built hundreds of these motors for legend racers.

When he was through, he installed an adjuster from an FJ1200 motor. It doesn't fit EXACT... but close enough to work. This adjuster is longer and resembles a phallic symbol a bit.. but who really sees it? AND... this adjuster is automatic and ratcheting! That means no adjusting.. EVER! If you ever start hearing a lot of cam chain noise, it means that you have stretched your chain beyond the limits and need a new one. Bohn said he never heard any cam noise on this last trip to Colorado. I had to adjust mine on the way home in a 90+ degree parking lot. Plus.. no set screws in the side to leak oil.

There is a downside though. This adjuster will work on an XS... but not an XJ. The XJ has an extra bar across the front for frame stiffening that goes right in front of this adjuster and it won't work. Anyway.. I thought it was a great idea and thought I'd pass the info on...

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

What year FJ motor did that ome from? I've been thinking about changing my CCT recently anyway.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

Tod - I modified a stock tensioner and got rid of the spring assembly. This setup doesn't leak, and doesn't slip. I adjust it to finger tight, and have verified with the valve cover off that this yields correct tension on the chain (1/4" vertical chain movement). I measured it against the stock adjuster and found that, when I've got 1 1/8" of thread left (measured from the locking nut to the end of the thread, it's time for a new chain. The picture is of my first attempt - I have since added a longer carriage bolt with a locking nut. I also added a thick neoprene washer JB Welded to the end of it, but I don't think that was necessary - but you get the idea. It's a cheap, easy mod that works real good. Still have to adjust it periodically, though.

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
        What year FJ motor did that ome from? I've been thinking about changing my CCT recently anyway.

FJ cam chain tensioners are all the same no matter what year, from FJ1100 through the 1200's and on through the XJR1200 and 1300's.

Comment

I just did an e-bay search and I thought it was kind of funny that the first result is a APE manual cam chain tensioner for FJ's. Looks a lot like Dbeardslee's solution. IF the FJ tensioners do fit and anyone wants a manual one with building it themselves there are these APE ones that should work I guess.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Yeah, I saw that modification you had done, but you still have to pull the sidecover, turn the crank to the "C" and do the adjusting. This one is completely automatic and hands free.

I will be doing this mod though to my XJ since the FJ adjuster won't work for me. With the adjuster tightened to spec, under hard riding and high RPM, my adjuster gets pushed out and I have to re-adjust it in the middle of a ride. How do you keep the oil from chasing up (Down) the threads of that carriage bolt and leaking?

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Tod - how do you know when your chain needs to be replaced? You sure you don't like the FJ mod 'cause it makes your bike look like the John Holmes of XS's?
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

LOL. Honestly, I would do that FJ mod if I could, but you can't do it to the XJ with the way the frame is designed. You'd know the chain needed replaced when you starting hearing a lot of chain/cam noise... meaning the adjuster can't adjust any more.

And besides.. what sticks out the front isn't nearly as important as the huge balls these motors have! (You know.. as in ball bearings.. yeah that's what I meant..)

Tod

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

I just looked at an FJ1200 cam chain tensioner on Ebay..didn't look in that good of shape and there was only 1.

Then I looked at the APE manual adjuster...too much money...but it lists several other bikes that the APE adjuster also fits...including certain years of the R1, and R6...and if the FJ tensioner fits...and the APE is a replacement to the FJ, R1 and R6...it follows that an R6 tensioner should work too.

Here's the list of applications for the Ape adjuster:

YAMAHA:

YZF600 R6 1999-2005
                  FZR600 1989-1998
                  YZF750 1994-1998
                  FZR1000 1987-1996
                  YZF1000 1996-1997
                  YZF1000 R1 1998-2003
                  FJ1100/1200 1984-1993

I just bought an R6 tensioner on Ebay for $20...they are plentiful, as are the R1 tensioners.

The R6 tensioner doesn't look as long as an FJ tensioner in the photos...maybe it'll work for those with XJs also?....

I will let you know how it works out upon installation.
                  Last edited by Guy_b_g; 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM.
                  Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

FZR600 tensioners look promising too...and are even more plentiful and cheaper...but appear longer than the R1 and R6 tensioners (at least in the photos)....maybe someone here will try one.
                    Guy

'78E

Comment

Guy_b_g,

Please take some measurements before you install it.

Larry
                      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                      82 XJ1100
                      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                      64 Yamaha YA-6
                      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

LOL...I'm not gonna just shove it in there and hope it works! Of course I'll measure and compare and if necessary modify.
                        Guy

'78E

Comment

Schwiiing!
                          80 SG XS1100
                          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Tod,
                            Thanks for the idea and the picture. Looking at the picture motivated me out of my chair and into the shed for a looksee. The tensioner on my 650 Maxim looks to be the same thing but possibly a touch shorter. As I have a parts 650 sitting around here somewhere that one will come out today and I will try it on one of my 1100's to see if it fits.
                            I will keep you posted as I, like you, am just a bit weary of the parking lot chain adjuster dance.
                            The Old Tamer
                            1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              Yeah, I saw that modification you had done, but you still have to pull the sidecover, turn the crank to the "C" and do the adjusting. This one is completely automatic and hands free.

I will be doing this mod though to my XJ since the FJ adjuster won't work for me. With the adjuster tightened to spec, under hard riding and high RPM, my adjuster gets pushed out and I have to re-adjust it in the middle of a ride. How do you keep the oil from chasing up (Down) the threads of that carriage bolt and leaking?

Tod

'Trbig'~~I made this same setup, like 'dbeardslee's mod, a few years and about 20K miles back. To not have a problem with oil leak, you can fashion a pretty good gasket/grommet from a piece of fuel line that slips down over threaded end of bolt sticking out from end of housing, and will fit fairly nicely down inside of the housing. Add some kind of flat fiber or nylon washer between the flat metal washer and end of housing. Not long ago, I did quit using the "fuel line" part, because I ran onto some kind of neoprene grommet that did fit snug down around the threaded shank part of the bolt and flared out wide enough to get a good seal when the flat metal washer was pushed down tight with the hex nut against housing end. Just like any O-ring material type that's up against hot metal, usually a good idea to replace this "flex-gasket" setup fairly regularly. The nut doesn't hold anything, except to be there to clinch down the 'oil seal'. Lock bolt on the side does fine to hold the bolt; doesn't take much to lock down against the 'threaded' shank. The nut screwed down on washer(s)~~tighten it down just enough to put a good squeeze between the metal and "soft" washer setup.
                              JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                              7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Working...
                              X