No announcement yet.

Another carb mystery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically, the main jet is in a tube (needle valve, actually). In the hole around that tube a passage is drilled across to the pilot tower.

Normally, there is a plug over the pilot jet so the pilot circuit has to draw it's fuel allotment through that cross passage. This is why those carbs need a bigger main jet to cover both circuits usage.

What I am saying, is that if we take the plug off the pilot tower, the pilot should draw it's fuel through the newly open doorway, since it's a lot larger than the old x-port.

Then we should be able to drop the main size back down to 80-81 'normal'.

At worst, might have to put some solder in the x-port just to make sure the 2 circuits are 100% seperate.

What would nix this is if the pilot sits physically higher up the plugged carbs, so that the pilot wasn't in the fuel at the normal float set height.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I got the main jets that rasputin sent over, today. Pretty fast considering they were mailed yesterday!

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to try them for a bit. I lost one of the rubber plugs, in my lawn, today.

What I did do, though, was compare the slides in the Suzy carbs to mine, and determined that I could use them in my carbs.

If you remember, from the other thread, the reason I need new carbs is that one of the carb bodies I have was deformed by the PO. Also, my Plasti-dip diapragm repairs are not holding. The plastidip is softening up in use, and then they leak, and the slides stick.

So, right now, I have the yammy carbs on, with a buggered #1 idle mixture screw, but with the suzy slides in them, and so far they seem to be working fairly well.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
      X