No announcement yet.

Bought the bike! Now where to start?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought the bike! Now where to start?!?

So I just picked up a 79 xs1100 and it is literally in pieces! I really want to make it a bobber but I have no idea where to start! Please point me in the right direction. I just bought this today and really want to make this a beast of a bobber!

Thanks for the input!!!

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

Rick, welcome to the site. There is a couple of xs bobbers on here if you look in the member's lounge there is a current thread by one of the other members about the xs1100 he just sold with a small mention of his custom work on it, i would read the thread and then ask him a few questions and if he has any advice. these guys are awesome help with just about anything you wanna know. the guy with the bobber is called xs11lover. good luck and welcome to the madness of ch. 11.
    -rob
    Whoever coined the phrase livin' the dream forgot to mention whether it was a good dream or bad dream.

'79 XS1100F "Lucy"
    75,000 miles and still goin strong.

Comment

Clerek - Sorry to hear you're gonna chop up your bike, but that's just me

There are several people on here who have done it to varied degrees, so take your time and ask lots of specific questions. Just remember, you'll get lots of not-so-specific answers sometimes too! It would help if we knew what Year/model your original bike is, because there are subtle differences between them that may make a difference when answering your questions. If you put that info in your signature, it will help us all a bit. If you don't know what year/model it is, we can tell you by the Serial number on the frame/engine.

Welcome to the forum! Oh, we like pictures too!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Pictures!

Sorry hadn't taken any pictures yet! Here are a bunch.

What i've done so far:

TAKEN IT ALL APART!!! It is apart and I am thinking that I should take the forks off and strip the paint off the frame but the *swingarm* (not sure, but the part that connects to the rear wheel) is still on there and I'm not sure if I want to take that off. Anyway tomorrow I am planning on stripping the paint, and hopefully rust and gunk, with the airplane stripping stuff...

Where do I go from here? I can't see anything wrong with the motor, of course it is on a stand and it hasn't been running. And the carbs were rebuilt by the previous owner...After I strip the paint I am going to do the hardtail much like tbishop11, except without the 16 inch rear wheel. I LOVE doing precision work, and don't have the right tools, so I am planning on using a hacksaw to cut the tail. After that I am stuck...

Please let me know if I am going in the right direction! I know the stuff but all the parts are OVERBEARING, and I am stuck...

Pictures...finally!

1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

You have a '78 or '79 STANDARD. The swing arm is EASY to remove and replace, so don't worry, be happy! Just pull the two chrome covers off, and loosen the 22?mm nut, and then back out the smaller bolt. The swingarm will just fall off!
          You WILL be pulling the nut in the center of the steering stem, as well. There are tapered bearings top and bottom, and the WILL NEED to be checked and greased at least. This is a BIG handling issue if they get old!!!!
          Welcome to the club, and have fun making it YOUR bike!
          If it's a 2H7000XXX it's a '78, 2H702XXX it's a '79
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

That is one minimalist exhaust system! Wear fiberglass chaps!!
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

minimalist exhaust...HA!

Ha! I thought the exhaust looked...kinda...short...! I totally laughed at that comment...thought it was hilarious. I actually think I'm going to leave it like that. What is that going to do to the sound? I really want something that is going to sound like a beast...Is there any safety issues that are going to come up later on if I keep them like this? I am going to put the middle two back underneath the bike but other than that...

-Rick

Oh and tomorrow I am going to clean out the tank! Just bought CLR and duct tape!
              1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Exhaust

Only real issue is that the engine likes the backpressure of a real muffler on there. Without that, you will struggle with tuning. From what I've read, you will loose low end torque as well.

Nice, clean engine though!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

So I just chopped the rear off the frame, and did some other things as well...

I also cleaned up the rear brake and have a question. Is the piston supposed to be that stiff? I took it apart and cleaned it with some CLR, and noticed even after it was clean, that it was almost impossible to push back in. I did it but then took it back out because I wanted to let it dry overnight.

Is there some kind of compound I should put on the piston before I slide it back in the cylinder?

I also picked up a couple of ignition coils from mikexs. They are the black high performance ones...as well as wires and plug caps. I haven't really picked which spark plugs I am going to use because I haven't really thought that far in advace...Suggestions?

As usual I have tons of pics. Let me know if you have any suggestions as to the next step.

I was thinking grinding down the leftover pieces from the chop and fabricating some kind of additional support for the swing arm (?). I also need to find a welder to attatch the brace. I really want to get this up and running before too long, and any tips would be awesomely helpful!!!

okay pics...

1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by Clerek View Post
                    I also cleaned up the rear brake and have a question. Is the piston supposed to be that stiff? I took it apart and cleaned it with some CLR, and noticed even after it was clean, that it was almost impossible to push back in. I did it but then took it back out because I wanted to let it dry overnight.

Is there some kind of compound I should put on the piston before I slide it back in the cylinder?
                    Yes, it is supposed to be that stiff. It usually takes a compressor (and some patience) to push the piston out of the caliper if the MC is not connected to it. NEVER EVER put ANYTHING other than clean brake fluid on the piston seals. Brake parts cleaner can eat the rubber, and anything else will contaminate the entire brake system. Just line it up and press it in with a large pair of channel locks or even a drill press

The piston almost doesn't move at all, and needs very little free-play to be effective, so don't worry about the lack of slipperyness in the caliper bore.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey Clerek,

One thing you didn't show in the photos is taking the rubber seal out of the caliper body! Corrosion likes to build up UNDER that seal in the housing, inside that groove. You can take a blunt straight edge to scrape around along the inside edge of that groove to remove the corrosion. Clean the housing with water, blow dry, then put some brake fluid on the seal and put it back into position, same with the piston, and you'll probably find that it slides a bit easier in and out, but will still be snug. It's the rubber square O-ring that makes the seal with the piston.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Okay cool! Thanks for the insight...You guys are really helpful! I wasn't expecting all this knowledge and willingness to help.

Great site

-Rick
                        1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Okay cool! Thanks for the insight...You guys are really helpful! I wasn't expecting all this knowledge and willingness to help.

Great site

-Rick
                          Be careful what you wish for... When we find out where you're located, don't be surprised when a few XSives show up on your porch to work on your bike WITH you!
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

[QUOTE=Clerek;213344] What I've done so far:
                            ...After I strip the paint I am going to do the hardtail much like tbishop11, except without the 16 inch rear wheel.
                            Please let me know if I am going in the right direction! - - - -

Hi Clerek,
                            another hardtailer, eh? Why stop there? Fit 14" over front fork tubes, remove the front brakes, swap in a tiny peanut gas tank with Old Glory painted on it, score some pot off the kids down the road and pretend you are Peter Fonda.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

[QUOTE=fredintoon;213772]
                              What I've done so far:
                              ...After I strip the paint I am going to do the hardtail much like tbishop11, except without the 16 inch rear wheel.
                              Please let me know if I am going in the right direction! - - - -

Hi Clerek,
                              another hardtailer, eh? Why stop there? Fit 14" over front fork tubes, remove the front brakes, swap in a tiny peanut gas tank with Old Glory painted on it, score some pot off the kids down the road and pretend you are Peter Fonda.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sounds good, let's go do that!

I just really like the look of a hardtail, I know innovation-wise it is a step in the wrong direction, but hopefully my A** won't get bruised alot...

I am in Spokane, WA if anyone DOES want to help out...hint hint.

Speaking of hints, I just got a hint that I may be kicked out of my garage! I am using our old apartment complex's garage to do this and I just got word that they are kicking anyone out who uses their garage for anything other than parking their cars!!! Lame isn't it!!! So I may not even have a place to work on my bike, and will have to figure something out...

I guess I could just finish this SUPER SPEEDILY!!!

Thanks for letting me ramble...

-Rick
                              1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Working...
                              X