No announcement yet.

Float bowl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm seeing a pairing of 3 & 4 which has me looking for commonality. 1 & 2 are setup identically, but they're looking pretty perfect. Then again, I always go in order when I'm colortuning, so maybe it was just from them idling longer than the others at an incorrect setting. You're probably right though as it has no problems what-so-ever over 3k. If it wasn't getting fuel it would probably show up more at the top end than the bottom. OK, Randy, you talked me out of it.

The way that stutter has hung in there regardless of what I do to the carbs has me thinking it's something other than the carbs. The 'what else' is what's giving me fits. The way this problem started was I had just bumped the mains from 145 to 147.5, and everything was working fine. I rode it several hundred miles that way with no trouble at all. Then it started this crap-o-la. I went in the carbs a bunch of times to no avail, set the valve clearances, changed the carb boots (which looked to be leaking air), redid the pickup coil fix (which was failing), swapped out the TCI and rectifier, and then changed out the electrical connectors which seems to have yielded the most improvement next to the pickup coil wires. I was wondering if all the electrical issues could have caused damage to the coils, although they test out OK. I've got several more electrical connectors I'm going to get rid of, but other than that, I'm fast running out of ideas.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I think I found the cause (or the one that was left, anyway) of my low rpm stumble. This morning I did two things - First I replaced the little relay that lives over the coils. I had a spare, and when I checked the resistances across the spade connectors the one that was installed had a LOT more resistance than the replacement. I have no idea what the spec is supposed to be, so I just compared the two and used the one with the lower resistance. Then I checked the timing and found it a shade too far advanced so I backed off by about 5 degrees. Between the those two things she's running like she's supposed to. Don't know which fix did it, but I'm thinking it was the timing. I'm thinking the majority of the problem was in the ATU area, so if I get any more low rpm stumbles that's where I'm going to look first. Now maybe I can quit turning wrenches and just ride for a while .
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
      X