Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on customizing a 79 XJ11S

Hey guys,

I'm super stoked I've found this site. I've had my 79 XJ1100 Special for a year now. I love it emensly. The engine is bullet proof and rolls on the power with ease and class. When I originally got it, I thought I wouldn't want to do anything to it but the customizing bug is taking hold a bit. Here is what she looks like now:

I got it for 1200 bucks with under 20k on it. The chrome is in mint condition and must of been garaged it's whole life. It had a few ticks being an older bike but nothing a good tune up couldn't fix.

My last bike was an 82 XJ750 Seca that I spent a year making into a Cafe Racer. "The Orca" as I named her, can be seen here:

So I was wondering what most have done with their Specials. Through looking trough the forums it would seem the Special have a wider frame. Was this a problem when handling things like seats, sissy bars, etc?

I was thinking of putting some clubman bars on it and leaving it at that. They have such a classic look that the bars alone can give it that cafe look right off the bat. Anyone on here taken the cafe route with their XS? If so, do you have some pics or advice? I was originally thinking about a bobber, but that seems to really draw away from what the stock look has to offer.

I'm open to suggestions and comments. It's great to be a part of the site!
    Last edited by 8SpadeEpiphany; 05-27-2009, 10:02 AM.

---------------------------------------------------

1979 XS1100 Special - "Viera"

Welcome

I also have a 79 Special. Im blacking mine out totally [everything is black]
    I have posted a complete rebuild thread for mine.

But if you do a search there are avouple of nice cafe styles lingering around.
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Lots of guys have done various customizing to their bikes, so it's not unheard of. However, there are folks (like myself) who prefer the stock look, so you might get some ribbing from us Do some searches on this forum, and you'll come up with plenty of tips and trick for adjusting or changing just about anything you can think of on your bike.

I'm a bit confused, and this may be my lack of knowledge, but I was of the understanding that the XJ1100 did not exist until 1982. Maybe someone else can clear this up.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

What pix?

Hi Spade and welcome,
        BTW your pix are just lines of typescript on my screen at least.
        It's your bike, customize it as you wish. Be prepared to receive sarcasm from this old fart if you hard-tail it though.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Oh, those pix

Hi Again Spade,
          would you believe that when I sent that other post there were no replies and your pix were scribble but when my post came on screen your post had pix and several other folks had their replies posted?
          Anyway, nice bike.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

re: XS not XJ, silly typo

Whoops, totally right, it is an XS I just typo'd there. And now I can't edit it. As far as the images, I've re submitted them so they should be good now.
            Last edited by 8SpadeEpiphany; 05-27-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

looks

looks like a 79 XS1100 to mee.

whoops, you got it
              Last edited by kirmit77; 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM. Reason: OBAMA
              Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
              1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
              XJ maxim rear air shocks
              KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
              Pod Filters

Money pit.......
              BLACKED OUT

Comment

Looks like someone already swapped the bars out on it for a closer to "cafe" look. Those look maybe like Std bars?

Lots of "Street Fighter" and "Cafe" versions about on here. I do like the lines of the stock version myself. Its your ride, make it how you want it! Just please do not make it a "Pimp my Ride" version, Please!!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Your bike looks really good as it is. If it were me I would hop up the running gear before more cosmetics.

How about a TKAT fork brace, stainless steel brake lines, drilled or slotted brake discs and progressive suspension front and rear?

If it were mine and I was going to be to be picky about the looks a matching set of wheels and a seat grab bar would be on the list. ( a 79 special grab bar is really hard to find tho)

If you put some or all of the stuff on that I suggested you will love your XS11 even more.

Have fun!

Comment

for sure no Pimping

Yeah I'm not gonna go over the top with it. The stock look is a great base and I want to keep it as naked as possible. The bars and seat can do so much to change the look and ride of the bike. Also, has anyone had any luck finding a larger tank? I've heard there are the 6.5 gallon tanks out there, and suggestions on where or how to find em?

Comment

Originally posted by 8SpadeEpiphany View Post
                      Yeah I'm not gonna go over the top with it. The stock look is a great base and I want to keep it as naked as possible. The bars and seat can do so much to change the look and ride of the bike. Also, has anyone had any luck finding a larger tank? I've heard there are the 6.5 gallon tanks out there, and suggestions on where or how to find em?
                      They are tough to find. You need either a venture tank or a european tank. You may be able to find one on ebay, but they are likely to be pricey based on supply and demand.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The tank off the Standard model is a 5.4 Gallon, and there are a FEW 6.4 gallon "venture" tanks around. They are HARD to find, as they were put on the Canadian and EU bikes more than the US. The tank shape is also different, looks more like your other bike.
                        If you DO go with a standard, you will need to trim a little off the front of the stock seat. If you are putting a cafe seat on, no big deal.
                        Welcome to the madness!
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Just noticed you are in SLO, We are going to have a rally in Atascadero in a few weeks! Take a look at the "Yosemite rally" in the rally forum, or the thread in the members lounge,. Hope you can make this, as you'll get a chance to meet some of the members here, and see some different bikes!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

6.4 gallon "venture" tanks

I have a nice one that is going on ebay next week.
                            thx,

Comment

Oh really, a rally?

That sounds awesome, I started taking a look in the thread however it's all speculative the first few pages. Any way you can point me towards the nitty gritty details or just paste them in here?

As far as the tank on ebay, what color is it and when do you plan on posting?

Comment

Working...
                              X