Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger tank

Originally posted by 8SpadeEpiphany View Post
    Yeah I'm not gonna go over the top with it. The stock look is a great base and I want to keep it as naked as possible. The bars and seat can do so much to change the look and ride of the bike. Also, has anyone had any luck finding a larger tank? I've heard there are the 6.5 gallon tanks out there, and suggestions on where or how to find em?
    Hi Spade,
    XS11 Standard tank (5.3 gal) drops right on (well so does the 6.5 gal but they are real hard to find) You will need to swap in the Special's thermistor fuel sender in place of the Standard's rheostat fuel sender so it can talk to the fuel warning light the Special has in place of the Standard's fuel gauge, (the senders' tank holes are identical but on opposite sides of the tank tunnel. The thermistor sender has to go in the Standard tank with it's connectors facing forward or it'll give you a false reading, only turning on the red light long after you switch to reserve, about 1/4 mile before the tank is totally empty. You won't appreciate how heavy an XS11 is until you've had to push it to a gas station) You will also need to hook up the Standard tank's vacuum taps (the taps DON'T swap but at least you can deep six the octopus valve if some PO hasn't already done so) and crop ~3/4" off the front of your seat pan to clear the Standard tank's fuel filler pocket drain tube.
    And please get either a swirly-spoke front wheel or a straight spoke rear wheel, eh?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Here is the deal on the rally,
      June 12, 13, 14 in Santa Margarita KOA, near Atascadero and Paso Robles, a little farther along. Lots of back country hills to ride and numerous wineries to sample.

Let's see...we've had rain, and fire...what's on tap for this year? Flood? Locusts?
      Don't mind the last line, just LoHo remembering the good times we've had at the other rally's. I'll be staying at a Motel 6 in Atascadero, and most of the guys will be at the KOA. My cell number is in the upper right corner, if you want to call for more information.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Awesome

Thanks for all the info on the tanks man.

As far as the rally, are you guys using Atascadero as home base? I'm working that friday but would love to make it to the other days. Do you have a schedule for the rides of each day? I'd like to see which ones I can make.

---------------------------------------------------

1979 XS1100 Special - "Viera"

Comment

Welcome
          As for the special and standard frames being different in width.They are the same I believe.
          Rick
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

We are going to use the KOA as a home base. Breakfast and dinner there, lunch "on the road". Friday is for all of us to make it there, and a dinner Friday night. Rides are open at the moment, but should leave about 10:00am, give or take. I'm NOT the leader for this rally, just someone who's been on a few. If you scan through the pages on the thread, there are some discussions near the end about ride direction, etc.
            The frames for the standard and special are the same, just a minor difference in the back. And you DO need the proper tank, or you may have to do some work, as the rear valve cover is in the way of most NON XS11 tanks....
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Rally

Thanks for the info Ray. I have to check with the old lady if I can go out and play for the weekend and if she'd like to come too. I for sure plan on attending outside of that ha ha. Since I had the bike I haven't talked to another in the area that has an XS as well.

Comment

Hey 8 spade-- I am glad to hear that you are looking to go cafe. I think these bikes lend themselves well to that. I have started going that route myself. I am currently looking into clip-ons. I think that if I find them, though, I will be also looking to get rear sets also, to help facilitate the new angle. The drag bars work well, but I want a little more... I have to leave my seat the way it is, though, since my wife likes to ride along sometimes. Here is a pic; normally I ride with it full naked, without the bags, especially since installing the R1 shock. Good luck on your project!
                Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

tank is factory blue with lighter color side panels w/no dents, decent paint and should be posted on ebay at the end of next week. It has light rust inside and I think I am going to clean it first.

Comment

Originally posted by acof911 View Post
                    tank is factory blue with lighter color side panels w/no dents, decent paint and should be posted on ebay at the end of next week. It has light rust inside and I think I am going to clean it first.
                    Great, I can't wait till it's up so I can take a look!

Man that's a sick looking bike man. How much did the R1 shock run in hours and money? If you don't mind me asking of course.

Comment

That black bike with the flames in the photo above.....those handlebars may be something to go with. I have an 1100SG and 1100SH and those handlebars seem to make my wrists sore. I thought it was just me until I recently bought a 2009 Raider and found those handlebars to be so much more comfortable.

I don't know if you are fine with the footpeg/controls location on the XS but I have had some severe leg injuries in the past. Those forward pegs and controls save me from a lot of throbbing in the knees and ankles. Just an idea, you do whatever you want since it's your bike.

When I first looked at the photo you posted at the beginning of this thread, my first thought was, "Looks great, don't change a thing." There is one thing I do like that I've seen in some photo on here. That's the bikes with the engine heads painted black. Something about that looks great to me.

Good luck with your bike and all your future plans with it.

Stay safe,

Don
                      currently own;
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Search forums under "R1 shock mod rocks". All the info, along with a couple of alternative mounting styles from other riders are shown. The shock costs usually under $50 on e-bay. You will like it guaranteed, and you only need one shock.
                        You have to really want the riding position that goes along with clip ons and rear sets. It gives an agressive riding style that is not very comfortable for slow cruising on long distances. Most of your weight is shifted onto your arms. For cruising, sitting up with legs forward is much better.
                        The forward riding style is more for sport and speed riding, but control over the bike is much improved.
                        Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
                          Search forums under "R1 shock mod rocks". All the info, along with a couple of alternative mounting styles from other riders are shown. The shock costs usually under $50 on e-bay. You will like it guaranteed, and you only need one shock.
                          You have to really want the riding position that goes along with clip ons and rear sets. It gives an agressive riding style that is not very comfortable for slow cruising on long distances. Most of your weight is shifted onto your arms. For cruising, sitting up with legs forward is much better.
                          The forward riding style is more for sport and speed riding, but control over the bike is much improved.
                          Yeah I had clubman bars on my cafe, no rear sets though. It seemed so easy to find for CB's but not for an XJ. Either way the control was great increased but long rides were a drag for sure. I went to SF and back in a weekend, about 500 miles round trip. On my XS now that would be a breeze but on that cafe riding position my shoulders wanted to fall off by the end. But taking some turns on HWY 1 was awesome.

I once rode with these guys I ran into on a stretch coming west from arizona. Three guys on cafe's, one newer triumph bonnie and two CB's. Well at a gas station they told me that they were from southern CA and this was a warm up for a few months from then when they were riding from LA to NYC. I couldn't imagine riding that far in that tucked positions. To each their own though.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken all metric bikes use a 7/8" handlebar. I don't think that it matters if they are advertised for a Yamaha or not. I had Yamaha bars on my last Honda.
                            Dave
                            1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Welcome Spade. This is an older pic. It was built, in part, to inspire so copy whatever you want. I copied Bob Jones and went further. I'm gonna try to make the rally too, so hopefully I'll see you there with this bikes new 30th birthday look.
                              [IMG][/IMG]
                              1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                              1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                              1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                              2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                              2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

8Spade, another idea if you care or not....last year, the folks here were discussing swapping out the drive shaft for a chain drive and then mounting a much fatter tire on the rear. I've been wondering how that went for any of the people who went through with it. I sure would love to hear any updates and definitely would like to see some photos if any bikes were completed with that set up.

Don
                                currently own;
                                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
                                X