carb swap xjto xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb swap xjto xs

hi, i just replaced my xj engine with an engine from a 79 xs1100 my question is can i use the xj carbs and will i have to rejet them the xj was a yics engine. if have to rejet, what do you recommend, or whatdid the 79 xs have for stock jetting?
    1982 xj1100
    1983 xj550

You should be fine running the XJ carbs on the XS motor with no re-jet. You'll have to figure somthing out with the choke (enricher) cable though.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Phil of course has it right that the carbs will match up to the engine no trouble.

IF you have an XJ bike that you swapped the 79 XS engine into (be helpful if you put the bike year and model into your signature) then everything should work fine with the XJ carbs. In fact, as I understand it, the XJ has a unique enricher setup that would make it a pain to switch to XS carbs. So keeping your original XJ carbs will make the swap much easier.

You may already know the electrical differences in the engines. There are several threads with this info in them, the TCI of the XJ does all of the timing advance control, so there is some work to do on the timing of the 79 engine IIRC.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

timing

thanks for the replies guys, as far as the elecrical is concearned, if i change the pickup plate at the left side of the engine i should be fine correct? i have already swapped out the alternators.
        1982 xj1100
        1983 xj550

Comment

thanks dgxser i have mysignature updated now ithink..lol also shown in my avitar is my xj1100,complete with my own custom forward controls.
          1982 xj1100
          1983 xj550

Comment

Motors shouldn't matter where the enrichener is. It hooks to the carbs and the left handle.. Just because there's an "XS" motor in there.. nothing will change.

Yes, if you swapped the rotor and stator cover, and also the pickup coils under the left side, you'll be good to go. Use the XJ's oil pan also so you can hook back up the oil sensor. The XS gauge is under the oil line that goes down the back side of the head into the block.. looks like a little plug.

Are you going to use the XJ head or the XS?

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

oil pan

hmmm, never thought of the oil pan, but that is an easy change tho, so the xs had an oil gauge? maybe i can install an oil pressure guage in my vetter fairing.. that should work .and yes i did change both side covers, all the wiring is now done, ended up having to go back to the salvage yard and buying the carbs belong to the engine as the air screws in the xj carbs were unusable..
              1982 xj1100
              1983 xj550

Comment

Working...
              X