82 XJ1100 maxim question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 XJ1100 maxim question

Need a quick answer ...what is the proper air pressure for the rear shocks? I have discovered that there was zero pressure in my shocks and \i have been bottoming out on ruts and bumps...I have put 50 lbs of compressed air in the rear shocks is this too much or too little...immediate help needed Thanks
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Depends on your style of riding but I usually don't put more than 40 in mine. In fact I usually run with 20 when it is just me on the bike.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

According to the Owner's Manual.......

The XJ1100 Owner's Manual recommends the following air pressure in the rear shocks:

Solo Rider: 14-28 psi
      Rider With Passenger: 28-43 psi
      With Accessory Equipment and Passenger: 43-57 psi

When I'm riding by myself, I keep mine at around 30 psi and that seems to work pretty well. The other thing you should check is the damping setting at the top (black thumbwheel). No. 1 is minimum damping and No. 4 is maximum damping. I have mine set to 3, which seems to be a good compromise; the rear suspension feels firm enough while cornering without breaking my back over every little bump.

I hope this helps.

Perry
      Perry

'82 XJ1100 (Second Childhood)
      Frame-up Restoration
      As Original as I Could Keep It

Comment

Thanks for the response...my riding has encompassed lots of bad bumps that would bottom out the shocks and transmit the jolts striaght up my back so I rode home from XSEast with 50 lbs psi and the same bad bumps were more less harsh..so it will stay at 50 psi.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
        X