Clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch questions

When I first picked up the 80SG, we got it running, changed fluids, did all the normal checks and then went to take it for a short test run.

I fired it up, coasted to the bottom of the driveway, put it in gear and nothing. The clutch was so tight it would not release.

Took the cover off, adjusted the clutch, and away we went. It worked good for a few days, then started to slip. Readjusted, worked for a few days, then started to slip, and so on, and soon...

I've been doing this for about 1000kms or so now. It's like the clutch rod is growing. If I adjust on the loose side, then it won't release all the way and it's hard to downshift.

Does this sound like the springs have gone soft? Or do I have something else going on. The PO told me he had been having clutch issues when he parked the bike.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Weird. It sounds like either the adjuster at the clutch lever is moving over time or the adjuster at the clutch is drifting. I'm not sure how either is possible. I'm assuming that both of the lock nuts are present and tight. I guess it's also possible that something is up with the cable... If the cable is stretching that much, it might be ready to let loose. Have you taken the cable out of the housing to inspect it? If everything is staying tight at both ends of the cable, the clutch lever is good, and the cable itself looks good, I'd say you need to go into the clutch; although I'm not sure what you'd be looking for. I know the plates can stick if they sit for a bit... That's all the stuff I can think of. Good luck.
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Hi,
      I found these things make so much torque in the low end that the old springs just won't keep a grip, heck mine was slipping when I would twist the throttle tight getting on the freeway!

I strongly recommend you do the clutch mod found on these forums, it even has pictures. Your actual plates being oil bathed are probably ok, it's probably weak springs. But when I replaced just the springs mine started slipping at 300 miles again so I did the mod correctly and it has never slipped again.
      After you do the mod I also recommend a New clutch cable, they can be had cheap off the web or Ebay.

If you decide to do the mod and need a extra ring let me know and I will send you one.
      1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
      2004 Roadstar XV1700
      45 to 50 MPG
      Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

Comment

Hey Cnuk,

It sounds like the friction plates are slowly disentegrating?? As they wear down, the pressure plate moves closer to the throw out rod, and after a while, the rod will be too long since the plates are now thinner, and so it allows slipping since the pressure plate isn't able to fully compress the pack. THEN you readjust it, moving the throw out rod further away from the pressure plate so that the springs and plate can fully compress the pack and GRAB with no slipping.

You could try taking a marking pen or something to mark the position of the throwout rod and lock nut after your next adjustment, and then check it again when it starts slipping. IF the parts haven't moved, BUT you still have to adjust it rotating the rod CCW to retract it away from the pack, then that would indicate the plate wear condition. JAT!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That's what it seems like. If this was the case would I get crud in the oil?

'05 ST1300

Comment

Not sure, but I have read on here others finding "sand" in the oil, and noticing the clutch friction plates are MUCH thinner.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I was thinking it's about time for an oil change, anyway, so I will check it then.

I have some new HD springs on order, may have to order some plates too.

I have an aftermarket HD clutch, but I am saving it for the engine I am rebuilding.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
              X