Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Master cylinder repair

Gerrtings,
    I disambled the front master cylinder to clean out the spooge hole. After proper cleaning of the casting o-ring groove the old deformed o-ring no longer makes a seal. I need a new o-ring. Where can I get me one of them replacement o-rings or what is the part number?
    Thanks'
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Sorry Eddie,

But the Microfiche doesn't show a breakdown for that part of the MC!

Unless someone else here posts the size, you'll probably need to take it to your local hardware store and try to find one that will fit!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyEddie View Post
      Gerrtings,
      I disambled the front master cylinder to clean out the spooge hole. After proper cleaning of the casting o-ring groove the old deformed o-ring no longer makes a seal. I need a new o-ring. Where can I get me one of them replacement o-rings or what is the part number?
      Thanks'
      Hi Lucky Eddie,
      front master cylinder ain't got no steenkin' o-ring. Parts'n'more sells a rebuild kit:-
      https://www.partsnmore.com/motorcycl...ory=master_cyl
      Has the complete m/c internals for $21.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        Hi Lucky Eddie,
        front master cylinder ain't got no steenkin' o-ring.

Hey Fred,

You even quoted what he said, but possibly didn't read it close enough, he removed the RESERVOIR cup, and the O-ring that is around the base that seals it to the metal MC base was damaged, and he needs to replace it. IT's a part that isn't in the regular MC rebuild kit, nor in the microfiche!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC,
          When I twisted the cup off the body, the o-ring was a mangled mess.
          There has to be a replacement o-ring.
          LuckyEddie
          1982 XV750J Virago
          1976 GL1000
          1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Try the local hardware store or RC shop.
            1980 XS1100g

Comment

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of a good o-ring. The one I have is toast.
              LuckyEddie
              1982 XV750J Virago
              1976 GL1000
              1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Here's a picture of one!

The whole reservior is listed as part number 1J3-W0043-00-00-1. I know you only need the O-ring, and none of this will probably help, but I figured I put in what I could find.
                Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-23-2009, 08:34 PM.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Hey Fred,
                  You even quoted what he said, but possibly didn't read it close enough, he removed the RESERVOIR cup, and the O-ring that is around the base that seals it to the metal MC base was damaged, and he needs to replace it. IT's a part that isn't in the regular MC rebuild kit, nor in the microfiche!
                  T.C.
                  Hi TC,
                  you are absolutely right. I've never thought of the plastic reservoir as a separate item and have never removed one from the m/c body. So yeah, there may well be a steenkin' o-ring that seals those two parts. Carefully measure the ID & OD & groove width where the seal fits.
                  Take those numbers to a bearing and seal shop and tell them the seal works in hydraulic fluid. They will sell you a seal of the correct size & composition.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I took all the parts to a bearing shop that sold o-rings. The boy couldn't figure it out, but when the old guy came back after lunch he had a quick measure, got out a catalogue and ordered in the right size, which I didn't write down

I did get 2 as I was worried I'd bugger the first up, but it's mixed with another one and I don't know which is which.

1) 2.6mm thick, 46mm O/D

2) 2.6mm thick, 50.5mm O/D

I think it's number 1
                    XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X