No announcement yet.

Turbocharged XS1100!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Winterhawk,
      That first picture brought back memories!! Looks just like mine when I rolled off the showroom with it! I DID repaint the complete bike just before a drunk driver found me on the freeway...
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Winterhawk, isn't that the stock 11 turbo? All these others are just modded N/A 11s. And yamanatic, about that 12mpg... That totally defeats the purpose that I ride bikes! My daily XS650 can blow the doors off just about any car I find, and riding it like that every day still nets me 38-40 mpg! Granted your 12mpg bike can probably hang with most new 1+liter sportbikes, but they are still getting 35+mpg (referencing my friend's GSX-R 1400 [bored 1000] when he gets nutso with the go grip)
        BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
        80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Hey DaveyG and everyone,

The ATP Turbo11 is strictly a thrill ride, and it fulfills that purpose wonderfully! I also have 2 mint bone-stone stock XX1100E's (you can see the back of one in the "Parts For Sale" section for the hard bags), and also own a stock 650 SecaTurbo. My daily commuter is a 1966 Honda Scrambler which gets me about 60 mpg and I don't mind leaving it out in the rain, snow, hail, tornado, dust storm or whatever (this is Wisconsin :-).

I bought the Turbo11 as a stock luxo-barge wreck back in 1979 for $275 from the insurance company. The original owner put it in a ditch which destroyed the fairing, bags, and all the touring stuff, but the bike underneath was very nice. I stripped off all the broken bits, and had a solid bike! I drove it on the street for 2 years, then turned it into a road racer. It was my Daytona bike, and it would get up on the high bank and run with the other big boys. I have more than a few wins on it, and could run down most Liter bikes of the day. At the Paul Revere 250 Daytona Endurance Race in 1984 the middle gear case locked up, and took the rear drive out with it - the skid mark started on the Tri-oval, and was about 100 yards long!

That is when I bought a friend's broken and neglected A.T.P. equipped Eleven, put both his Turbo and rear drive on this bike, and put it back on the street. I have enjoyed it ever since, riding and taking it to the drags and running down bikes 30 years newer. The sport bike riders stick their noses in the air until we get the Green light, then they get very interested in how that ancient heap managed to advance to the next round, and they just got a 'looser' slip at the timing booth - wink...

I will not argue that new sport bikes are quite exciting; one of the modern bikes that can put the XS11T away is a friend's turbocharged Hayabusa; that thing is unbelieveable I don't feel too bad though, because his ride cost $15K, and I think that I have a total of $1000 in the Eleven including the $350 I paid for the bike I snapped the Turbo off of. I just prefer the old stuff; of the bikes I own, the newest is the '83 Seca. The oldest is a 1950 Vincent Comet (I sold my 38 BSA Military last spring), including quite a few 1960's and 1970's British, Japanese, and European scoots to round out the bunch. Here's a pic of the Beeza at the 2007 AMCA rally in Mineapolis - now that thing got some unbelieveable mpg:

I still roadrace, and am currently campaigning a 1974 TZ750A, a 1976 TZ250C, with a 1967 TD1C under reconstruction. Both the bikes and I are true "Vintage" items, and 1/2 the fun is keeping these old beaters running; anyone can buy them, but very few owners have the ability to keep them running and on the track. The 2-Strokes are difficult to maintain - they often need pistons or rings between heat races, and shake apart and break constantly. One thing about the Eleven, in 3 years racing it only broke once...

As far as the mileage, I live out in the country, and have plenty of roads to get the adrenalin pumping. If and when I dig out the XS11T, rides are short and WFO, or 1/4 mile long at the local drag strip; the bike may be capable of getting decent mileage if ridden carefully, but I think that will be up to the next owner to determine. Don't miss my Estate sale - one of these things is bound to give me a heart attack!

Cheers,
          Warren
          Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

Comment

This is a great thread Yamanatic. Love the pictures.

Daveyg - XS650 blowing the doors off of cars? How so? Is it heavily modded? The XS650 I used to have could rattle the doors off a car just by driving by, but it definitely wasn't fast!
            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Originally posted by Shuriken View Post
              This is a great thread Yamanatic. Love the pictures.

Daveyg - XS650 blowing the doors off of cars? How so? Is it heavily modded? The XS650 I used to have could rattle the doors off a car just by driving by, but it definitely wasn't fast!
              Oops, that was a typo on my part. I meant my XJ650. Gets so confusing when you own so many yamahas... the parts guys at work get all pissed off every time I have them order me something... And as for mods, the little Maxim has a stock replacement UNI foam air filter and the old rusty exhaust cans removed, makes it way too easy for me to completely bury the tach... I really need to get to the local 1/4 track one of these days to get some real numbers. And yes, my XS650 is slow as piss and can rattle just about anything off of anyone's vehicle (currently running stock headers into a Y-pipe collector and a 10" long 2.5" straight pipe with 'hopes and dreams' air filters, I'm working on a better filtration method, using my stock replacement K&N filter from my 11, putting pods on the 11) But enough of my thread jacking...
              BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
              80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Yamaha made the Seca Turbo XJ650LJ and the LK in 1982 and 1983. In Japan they made other bikes with this fairing on them. Not sure if one was an 1100. I think it was a Seca 900 or something like that.

They are collectibles but not worth very much right now. It was sentimental to own one as in 1982 Bob Jones son and I took the first ones out of the crate to ride at JoCo Motors Yamaha. I was hooked, Ive owned on ever since.
                "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                X