• Show
Clear All

• Turbocharged XS1100!

Here it is a turbo charged XS1100-
    http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...-1100-95118738
    1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
    2004 Roadstar XV1700
    45 to 50 MPG
    Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

I wonder if the performance gain is worth the $$$ for those kits. Seems kind of steep 30%-40% for 2K.

XS1100 Turbocharged
    Last edited by mstic2000; 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM.
    My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Wow! Except for the seat, that is one NICE midnight! Dunno about the whole turbo thing, but the choice of pipes and the condition of the rest of the bike really makes that thing shine!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by mstic2000 View Post
        I wonder if the performance gain is worth the $$$ for those kits. Seems kind of steep 30%-40% for 2K.

XS1100 Turbocharged
        How bad does it hurt that 11 blasting that through the redline like that?! He's maxing out the tach every time he hits the throttle. Can't be good.
        1980 XS11SG
        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

It was idling somewhere above 2000 rpm, according to the tach, but it didn't sound like 2000 rpm to me. When he blipped it, the tach needle flipped around, but I didn't think that really sounded like full revs either. I've heard my engine rev up close to redline, and it sounded way different. I would guess the tach is off by a factor of two somehow.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

just watched it again, yeah gotta agree with you ken but by jimbo that scares me just watching that needle jump that high lol
            1980 XS11SG
            Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
            Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
            ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
              I would guess the tach is off by a factor of two somehow.
              Yes, the way the needle jumps around at idle plus it redlining so easily makes me think the tach must be off somehow. I wonder if it has something to do with the kit? The puffs of smoke at the beginning didn't look too healthy either.

Comment

Yeah... because revving the piss out of it right when you start it is in ALL the manuals.

That seart looks big enough to sleep 4 comfortably.. yet he can't even haul a passenger unless they want to let their legs dangle.

I have to agree with Ken.. It does seem like he's revving it to about 5-6k at the most.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  That seat looks big enough to sleep 4 comfortably..
                  Must be the "overnighter deluxe" model seat...

Comment

Notice the slotted "and drilled" rotors? And how about that exhaust routed to the left side instead of the right? $$$$$$
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

There is an article floating around somewhere on the turbo Yamaha, they were sold in Europe and every now and then a turbo comes up on ebay.

From factory, the turbo was adjusted to keep inlet pressure around sea level pressure, not an overboost. The wastegate was designed to open above that point. idea was to keep a consistent inlet pressure over a range of operating conditions and elevations.

Now it is possible to re-spring or shim the wastegate spring to get higher boost pressures. However, this is ususaly done for only a couple pounds of boost...puts a lot of extra strain on engine components. Another factor is the boost on a turbo, which is powered by exhaust gasses, does not kick in until higher RPMs; the low end grunt is generally lower than a normally aspirated engine, up to the mid 3K range typically. There was a "turbo lag" effect on early turbo installations due to the time it took for the extra exhaust to 'spin up' the turbo.

Having said that, and having owned 2 turbo cars, a turbo can be a lot of fun to drive. Nothing like the kick when the turbo comes alive, and listening to the turbo sing as it revs up and down the RPM scale is a real hoot. I've often though about trying to find one of the turbo SECAs Yamaha put out in the early '80s, think it would be fun to own one.

The 2 turbo cars were a '65 turbo Corvair (180hp) and an '82 Audi 5000 Commemorative Series Turbo. (5KCST) The Audi turbo, in particular, was fun to drive hard.

Anyway, back to the XS11...the turbo version was dropped in favor of the 'new' FJ powerplant for the US market. A shame, the 11 engine was no where near the end of its development cycle and a turbo version would have made a great cruiser engine as well as a sport bike powerplant. However, at the same time, Yamaha was out to capture the touring market with the Voyager vs the Gold Wing, and the FJ's newer frame and engine was to cover the crotch-rocket segment. No real place for the XS11 engine in that line up, so Yamaha dropped it. Guess we shouyld be glad the engine was in production for 7 model years, '78 - '82, and through '84 in some markets. Not a bad run at all.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Justjeff built one with a turbo and a wicked ghosted paintjob. IIRC he claimed 200 ponies with that little mod.
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

quick question is it true that a turbo will help mpg, by helping atomize the fuel befor it enters the combustion chamber?
                          1979 XS1100 SF (production number 572)
                          1972 Kawasaki g4 TR-B with high and low transmision
                          1974 kawasaki G4
                          2003 Polaris 250 Trailblazer
                          1975 Yamaha Enduro 175

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                            There is an article floating around somewhere on the turbo Yamaha, they were sold in Europe and every now and then a turbo comes up on ebay.
                            Is this it?
                            http://www.turbomotorcycles.org/TMIO...lp_Yamaha.html
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

How do they provide fuel to a turbocharged engine from the early 80s. I didn't see any EFI stuff on that midnight. I am guessing pressure carbs, but I didn't see any carbs. I was always told that running fuel air mix through a turbo is bad since it tends to pre ignite and also dilutes the oil on the bearing.

I am confused...
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X