No announcement yet.

Oil in the air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After extensive research and testing, I found that I *ahem* was over full on oil by about a quart That's why there was oil in the air box. The Chemtool in the cylinders DID help the blow by tho! Last night I put 120 miles down on her at freeway speeds down highways 17, 1 (Pacific Coast), 92 and 101 without a hitch! She's running a tad rough but no more leakage. Tomorrow when I have time, I'll re colortune and re synch the carbs.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
      Silent,

I noticed in the plug photo that you have the screw terminals on the plugs. That tells me that you have aftermarket wires?? Check to make sure you have solid core wire, not the automotive resistor type wire commonly found in those aftermarket wire sets. Resistor wire can contribute to misfiring and plug fouling, hate to see you chasing a suspected fuel problem that is actually an ignition problem. That can make you nuts. DAMHIKIJK!
      Randy; could you elaborate a bit more, re; the problem, using "resistor type plug wires" that you're referring to, here? Reason, I'm asking > several months back, I installed new "MikesXS" coils, but did use 8mm Accel resistor type wires, graphite core. Immediately after installation, and for a few months, it would start very well (better than before), and seemed to run better, too. Now, in past few weeks, I've developed electric firing gremlins, that are sometimes there, and sometimes not. Sometimes, after setting a day or two, it will mysteriously not have spark, or too weak of input to spark across the gap, but I can feel some voltage, sometimes when I hold the plug when grounded, turning the engine with starter. All this, with voltage being fine at the battery. And then mysteriously, after messing around with it for some time, and not "really" doing anything that should change the problem, it will have enough spark to start up. I seemed to have run onto other comments on here, about the "solid strand core wires" being the only way to go, otherwise, supposedly inviting problems; comments and info that I wasn't really convinced of before I installed the "non-solid strand" type wires. Actually, I already had them on hand, and didn't have any new solid strand wire handy.......................and there you have it. I do now suspect that my electrical gremlin problem, is related to > not using a solid strand wire, and am hoping the resistor type that I used, hasn't caused some damage on the other side of the wires.........coils...............TCI............. etc.(?) Also, seeing postings on here about the MikesXS coils, in a few instances.......going bad?..................?

Assuming that I have made a wrong move, here, installing the suppressor type wire~~one of the questions that I have, is "....when these suppressor type is used, and in beginning works fine, and as time goes along, and they no longer do 'work properly' , or start causing gremlin/electrical.............what happens to cause them to go 'faulty' (?), and a solid core won't?"

............anybody else, that would like to help clear up my fogginess on this, feel free.................
      JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
      7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Working...
      X