No announcement yet.

Oil in the air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard old guys swear by running a bit of tranny fluid in the base oil from time to time, said it would rejuvenate the seals. Just a 20% mix for a few miles before changing the oil. Not sure I'd be the 1st to try it on my bike though...

The engine I'm running now initially tested 30 psi cold or something like that on cyl 4 . Engine revitatlizer sitting in the bores for a few months brought it up to 90 or so then use has it up to 150.
    '80 SG
    '79F engine

Comment

I'm starting to get disgruntled with this bike. I put the Berrymans into each cyclender as DiverRay suggested, now I can't get the bike to fire. I've pulled, cleaned, and re-gapped the plugs. Spun the motor with the plugs out so there's no hydrostatic lock. Fuel's on, there's fuel in the tank. Checked that spark is there, and still no start. Now the battery's down yet again, so I can't even do a compression test to see if I somehow messed everything up. I guess I'll have to wait for a new battery to come in before I get to try again.
      Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
      '07 FJR1300

Comment

Ray,
        Jumper the bike from your car!! I do it all the time. Ground to the engine, positive to the battery side of the solenoid. Try starting with NO CHOKE and WOT. The B12 Does make it hard to start because it is already "rich".
        I'm NOT that far away if you would like a little help with it.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

An extra set of eyes is always a good thing. Especially if that extra set has experience with the machinery in question. If you're not doing anything this weekend, I could supply some cold drinks, and possibly lunch or something. I'm thinking Saturday would be a good day to wrench.
          Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            Ray,
            Jumper the bike from your car!! I do it all the time. Ground to the engine, positive to the battery side of the solenoid. Try starting with NO CHOKE and WOT. The B12 Does make it hard to start because it is already "rich".
            I'm NOT that far away if you would like a little help with it.
            Well, hell. That worked like a charm! I did find out that my neutral safety switch doesn't work either. She fired up in first with the side stand down! Good thing she was on the center stand!

Fired her up and let her warm up awhile, then I used a syringe and put about 10cc of SeaFoam in each cylinder while running at about 3k rpm. Made a lot of smoke! Color tuned the cylinders, and adjusted the idle.

Now I want to know what dumb sob put the idle screw under the gas tank in the middle of the carb rack??

Last edited by Silent; 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM. Reason: to add a pic
            Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Now I want to know what dumb sob put the idle screw under the gas tank in the middle of the carb rack??
              I always use a long screwdriver to push on the notches. Works pretty good. Trying to get your hand back there is an excercise in very hot futility . If I remember correctly a 15mm socket fits the adjuster too.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

yep a long screwdriver and do not forget to synch up after you tune. BTW, only the XJ had a neutral safety switch that actually keeps the bike from firing IIRC, I know for a fact none of the XS's (with the possible exception of the MNS) had an actual safety switch, they just light the neutral light.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Recently, I have started using light weight foam nitrile coated gloves for just about everything outside the house. They are thin enough you can still grasp small fasteners, they grip well, and they add just enough protection from hot areas like trying to adjust that idle screw. Best part - this particular brand runs only about $3.72 per pair!
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    yep a long screwdriver and do not forget to synch up after you tune. BTW, only the XJ had a neutral safety switch that actually keeps the bike from firing IIRC, I know for a fact none of the XS's (with the possible exception of the MNS) had an actual safety switch, they just light the neutral light.
                    No safety switch on the MNS either. Just a light. The bike will fire on the side stand, in gear, every time.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      No safety switch on the MNS either. Just a light. The bike will fire on the side stand, in gear, every time.
                      Hi 'Bug,
                      to use the electric start on my XS650 the bike has to be in neutral with the engine not running plus it has a sidestand interlock that kills the engine if you put it in gear with the stand down. Meanwhile the XS11 has none of the above.
                      Same year, same factory, same XS series bike.
                      I reckon the various XS design teams had access to the same catalog of parts but were never allowed to speak to each another.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My 81 special has a neutral safety switch. It WILL NOT start in gear, unless the clutch is pulled in. There is no side stand switch though. Do you other XS owners have wires and a switch on the clutch lever?
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          Hi 'Bug,
                          to use the electric start on my XS650 the bike has to be in neutral with the engine not running plus it has a sidestand interlock that kills the engine if you put it in gear with the stand down. Meanwhile the XS11 has none of the above.
                          Same year, same factory, same XS series bike.
                          I reckon the various XS design teams had access to the same catalog of parts but were never allowed to speak to each another.
                          It is strange that something so simple would be on one version of the bike and not the other. However, I don't mind one bit that I don't have this feature. I always start the bike while it's on the sidestand, to let it warm up while I put my gear on, and the ability to hit the starter to turn the engine just a hair to get it INTO neutral if you forget when you stop it is a plus. I know that rocking it back and forth works too, but a touch on the starter button is a lot less like exercise.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

I'll take a peek for a neutral safty switch, but I won't be alarmed if it's not there now. Thanks for the info
                            Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

That is interesting Ivan, I have an 81 special that is bone stock except I removed the Octy. And I know for certain (as I have questioned myself on thsi before and gone to the mancave to test it more than once) that it WILL engage the starter in gear with no hand on the clutch. Starter will move the bike.

Heck, that may save me pushing the big pig up a hill one day, for as long as my battery holds out
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Pcv

Hello I have the same problem, but would a PCV valve help this problem??

Cheers
                                Peter.

Comment

Working...
                                X