Need front fork help ASAP (please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need front fork help ASAP (please)

I have a problem installing Progressive Springs in my '80 standard xs1000. I can't get the fork caps on no matter how hard I try (I even made a install tool out of a 4x4 post and had my wife help apply pressure while turning but it wouldn't go).

The springs stick up about 2 inches from the top of the fork tube. The instructions with the spring says that it should be 1 inch including the threaded portion of the tube. Is my 2.5+ inches of preload normal? I don't see how it's possible to install the caps with this much preload.

If it isn't normal my thought is maybe a previous owner put spacers at the bottom of the fork for more preload with the stock springs. How would I go about checking this and removing such spacers without taking apart my entire fork? Is there any way for the stock parts to be out of position that is preventing the springs from seating collectly? I'm completely lost of what to do.

Any quick help would be GREATLY appreciated considering my bike is apart on the center stand on my gravel driveway with severe weather expected today.
    1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
    Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
    850 FD
    Fork Brace
    Progressive Front Springs
    Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
    Oil Cooler
    Throttle Lock
    Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

I put progressives in my '79 standards and they fit fine. The caps can be difficult. If you can compress them far enough that the caps touch the forks, I doubt there are spacers in there, but anything is possible, PO's be damned!

The only way to remove spacers, if they are in there is to dismantle the forks.

The trick to threading the caps is to get them seated by hand and turn counterclockwise until you feel the threads mate, then go clockwise. It's a very fine thread, so be careful not to cross-thread them.

Comment

I forgot to mention, I can pretty much lean all my weight I can onto the stupid cap and barely get it to touch threads, so I'm not just being a sissy.

Edited to note that wasn't a response to Randy's post, but just my own.
      Last edited by BossMaverick; 05-13-2009, 05:08 AM. Reason: See above
      Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
      850 FD
      Fork Brace
      Oil Cooler
      Throttle Lock
      Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Then either you have the wrong springs, or there ARE spacers in there. Have you measured the new springs against the old?

Comment

Spring lengths are about the same as the old ones, about 1/3" difference. I was just poking about with a rod inside the fork tube and it feels like something might be in there

Now I have to pull the dang thing apart. I wish I knew this yesterday when I replaced the front tire so I didn't have to do that again.

Thanks for the help.
          Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
          850 FD
          Fork Brace
          Oil Cooler
          Throttle Lock
          Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Out of curiousity, what is the normal length that the spring sits above the fork tube without the caps on?

Thanks again!
            Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
            850 FD
            Fork Brace
            Oil Cooler
            Throttle Lock
            Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

If the springs are close to the same length, there is something else going on. Is is possible that you don't have the spring correctly seated? Wiggle it, spin it, etc and see if it helps.

Comment

I finally got them after realizing there weren't spacers and of course, it's the idiot operator behind the tools fault. Two things were causing my problems. The first being not rechecking my previous steps. Turns out I had forgotten to loosen the upper fork clamps which actually did help with installing the caps. The second problem was before putting the springs in the tube I had threaded the caps on the tubes to see were the threads caught (makes it easier than feeling for the threads while applying pressure with the springs). Well idiot me, I found out the caps got switched so I was trying to thread the caps where they didn't thread.

Once I realized my mistakes I took my fancy fork cap tool (my 4x4 post with rounded edges to clear the gauges and a hole drilled on an end that fit my air fork cap) and got the caps on without unusual problems.
                Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                850 FD
                Fork Brace
                Oil Cooler
                Throttle Lock
                Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Working...