Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100J Front Brake Problem

Hi All.

I just got a 1982's Yamaha Maxim XJ1100J. This bike is in pretty good shape, but it has a problem with the front brake. I took the brake line off and installed on my old XJ650, and found no problem with the brake, so I discarded any problem with the brake line. Next, I removed the left brake line and attached to the XJ1100's right caliper. When I pressed the brake pedal, I saw that the cylinder has compression, which lead me to discard a problem with the caliper. So, I concentrated my research on the master cylinder. The first time I removed the m/c cap, I found that the fluid was solidifying (very nasty). I removed the fluid and cleaned the cylinder, and then I filled it with new, fresh, clean brake fluid. However, the m/c is just pushing air through the brake line. Finally, I remove all the small parts from the XJ650's m/c (rubbers, spring, piston, etc) and installed on the XJ1100, but I still have the same problem. Any suggestion? all the m/c parts look very good (diaphragm, screws, threads, bolts, washers) and I dont want to get a new m/c kit until I'm sure that that is the problem. (Yamaha parts are very expensive, you know)

Thanks in advance.

BTW, here's the pic of my new baby.

The XJ has a LINKED brake system. The rear brake pedal ALSO operates one FRONT brake caliper!
    Finally, I remove all the small parts from the XJ650's m/c (rubbers, spring, piston, etc) and installed on the XJ1100, but I still have the same problem. Any suggestion?
    You probably NEED to "bench bleed" the master. Take the brake hose off the master, and put your finger LOOSELY over the hose fitting. Pull the handle to put the brakes on, and then TIGHTEN your finger over the hole to keep any air out. After about five or six times, the naster should start working normally.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

XJ Brakes

Hey Ray, "naster" is that a new word combining nasty and master? Sounds appropiate in this case!!!

Back to the brakes, hey Japa, the brake pedal operates the rear and left front caliper. Many around here have modified their systems to operate both front calipers with the hand lever, but you have to install a larger mc. I don't have a problem with the original set up on mine and kind of like it.

And Ray is totally correct with his advice on bench bleeding.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Spooge hole

Search 'spooge hole" for some more tips
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

The MNS has the same linked brake system, and though I finally got mine to work after several hours of frustration, I would suggest a mity-vac bleeder for that system. The hard metal tube that runs under the fuel tank tends to collect air even while bleeding, so you never get the compression you need. If you suck the fluid through the lines at a high enough speed, the air doesn't have time to settle at the high point in the line, and it will go much faster. Just be aware that the MC doesn't hold a lot of fluid, so you have to watch the level and don't let it run dry.

Definitely be sure to bench-bleed the MC before you put it on the bike too. As strange as it may sound, it makes a big difference. Nice bike, and welcome to the forum, BTW!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

thanks for the inputs, guys. this bench bleeding thing worked, so my bike's brake is pretty good.

Comment

Hey, Japa...

I also wanted to say welcome to the forum!!! Us XJ guys gotta stick together!!! LOL Nice lookin' wheels.
              Regards,
              Bob
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
              X