Carb boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb boots

when using gaskets what is the best way with yamabond which side of gasket or both?

I wouldn't use any sealer.
    But if you are going to anyway I would put it on the head side.that way if you want to change them later it will be easier than trying to get it off the rubber.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

The carb boot has a lip on it that seals it. I didn't use a gasket or any sealant on my new ones a couple yrs. ago. Still no leaky.
      Old ones may require a gasket or sealant??? I would try without first but that's just me.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I wanted to avoid leaks there at all costs. Made gaskets and used permatex aviation sealer on both sides. I don't think they'll EVER come off! But that's OK with me

Comment

boots

hey guys they are new boots with the raised lip had them on with the gasket when i pulled them off gaskets were wet all the way out and only stuck hard on the ears thought this might be where my vac leak was coming from creating my rpm hang up
          thanks

Comment

I agree with Randy, I'd use sealer on both sides, then there's no chance of leakage. If you need to take 'em off later, they'll come off. JMHO
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I agree with Randy and bikerPhil.Put it on both sides tighten it down,take a paper towel and clean the excess off the inside and out,let it set a while then mount the carbs.I hate vacuum leeks more than gravel on a sharp corner.
              Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Boots

hey guys looks like both sides i just want to narrow down vac leaks hope this is the one !! non hardening sealer should do the trick good thought TW on wipe the excess out inside have to go down state for 4 days i'll pick up some yamabond down there
                thanks again

Comment

Brokenarrow - If you use sealer, definitely do what tw suggested and make sure you clean anything that squeezes out on the inside. You don't want sealer deteriorating from exposure to gas and subsequently coming loose and getting sucked into the combustion chamber. You also don't want anything in there disrupting the air flow. Most sealers will tell you on the container the type of solvent to use for cleanup. A clean lint-free cloth dampened (not soaked) with the appropriate solvent should do the trick.
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

boots

hey db got ya thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X